Mounting MBP Under Desk - Heat Issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jprovost, Mar 20, 2008.

1. jprovost macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    Planning on attaching 4 brackets like this under my desk to create a hanging 'dock' for my (closed) 17" macbook pro when it's hooked up to my new display and keyboard.

Anyone know if heat will be an issue? The brackets I hope to find at Home Depot will leave about half an inch between the MBP lid and the bottom of the desk for air flow (about 1.5" off the bottom of the desk). I'm going to dip the receiving ends of the brackets in rubberizing handle liquid to improve grip and avoid any scratches.

Any better ideas for creating a dock like this?

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Sounds like a good idea but.... electronics always need some air space.... it probably would be ok as long as it didnt run it 24/7. Just make sure it has a little space to breathe.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a good plan. I would suggest mounting a small fan under the desk or something to move air around and prevent hot air build-up (as warm air rises), but you should be fine.

TEG

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think its a better idea if you keep the mbp somewhere on top... maybe this?? [​IMG]

Plus you get better airflow to keep the mbp alot cooler and you can use 2 screens at the same time, which imo best advantage using a mbp with an external monitor, especially a 17" screen.

5. Shabbis macrumors regular

Question: why would you want to hide that beautiful 17" display?

I'd personally use both the 17" screen and the desktop display at the same time.

6. jprovost thread starter macrumors newbie

My desk is only 2'x4'... I'll see how it all fits on the desk, but I don't think there will be room for it (plus my keyboard, wacom tablet, mouse and coffee) :(

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i have a 2x4 desk as well, with my 15" mbp and a 20" lcd display. i had mine in clamshell mode hidden underneath my external display, but now i use both screens. so much better.

8. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Hey, if you want to hang it under the desk, then you hang it under the desk. Here's my two cents.

For me, almost 95% of the heat comes from the bottom. The screen doesn't produce much heat at ALL. Maybe yours does, but surely not as much as the bottom. As far as I'm concerned, having it hanging under the desk provides more airflow than it sitting on the desk like normal.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

10. Analbarbiturate macrumors member

There should be zero problems with that settup.
    Most of the heat will be generated out back and towards the bottom anyways.

The only problem is you will hit your laptop with your knees or legs at least once. It's bound to happen. You would be better off mounting on the side of the desk that's not frequently used.

I agree with a new desk.

General rule, don't keep any computers on the ground or at/near ground level.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I agree the MBP 'breathes' in the rear and the rear-bottom. Ensure the brackets do not obstruct these areas and it seems you'll run cooler. Consider buying a Speck/Tech Shell to prevent those brackets from scratching your finish.

12. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Heat disipates through the bottom...not the screen or metal enclosure surrounding the screen. Heat should be the least of your worries since these clips will only cover an inch squared, anywhere they're placed.

13. jprovost thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true - hanging the MBP will increase airflow for the bottom. I find the hottest part of the computer is the 3/4" above the keyboard, but that's probably just heat rising from the underside, through the hinge.

Seems like everything is fitting on my desk for now, and I'm liking extended desktop. I haven't worked with my tablet yet - I might end up buying the brackets (and coating them with rubberized grip stuff) for when I am working with the wacom. For <$10 of hardware, I think it's worth having a place to stash the MBP when I need more room.

14. puke macrumors regular

Imo get a nice new desk from IKEA and use the beatiful 17" screen + your external monitor. It's alot more workspace. I'm using my 15" MBP at home with my 24" external monitor, mostly in side+side-mode... means I got my mainscreen on my MBP and extra workspace on the left of my MBP. This provides a easy way to handle for exmple iTunes on one and the rst on the other.

Tho, if you insist on mounting under desk, then the heat issues shouldnt be a problem at all.