Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ceapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Hi everyone, If you mount a .dmg file onto your Hard Drive (using disk utilities), will all the data/files on that hard drive be deleted? (HD isnt partitioned)
Thanks. Just wondering.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If you delete the mounted disk image it would.

All you have to do is unmount it and the disk image goes back to where it came from.

Or am I mis-understanding the question ?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
You mean like by double-clicking it? No, it just creates a small virtual hard drive that behaves like you had inserted a CD or plugged in a flash drive. The only way a DMG can overwrite your hard drive is if you use the Restore tab in Disk Utility to clone the DMG onto your drive, and even then, it will refuse to do so to the drive you're currently booted to. If you want to do this, you'll have to use Disk Utility from the computer's restore disk and have the DMG stored on a different drive.

Ceapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
You mean like by double-clicking it? No, it just creates a small virtual hard drive that behaves like you had inserted a CD or plugged in a flash drive. The only way a DMG can overwrite your hard drive is if you use the Restore tab in Disk Utility to clone the DMG onto your drive, and even then, it will refuse to do so to the drive you're currently booted to. If you want to do this, you'll have to use Disk Utility from the computer's restore disk and have the DMG stored on a different drive.
So if I were to overwrite using the Restore tab is Disk Utility, the OS would also be wiped out? And if it were, would I be able to restore my data files by using my recovery disc and using sub options to save my files?

Ceapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Thank you, and just wondering, what firmware/OS does the Power PC G5 come with? I purchased it about 2-3 years ago.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
PowerPC G5 is a processor architecture, not a computer. I assume you're talking about the Power Mac G5, named for the processor inside the computer. Shipping when it did, it probably would've come with Tiger preinstalled, but it'd help to know which model you're talking about.

Ceapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
PowerPC G5 is a processor architecture, not a computer. I assume you're talking about the Power Mac G5, named for the processor inside the computer. Shipping when it did, it probably would've come with Tiger preinstalled, but it'd help to know which model you're talking about.

Sorry, its the Power Mac G5, I'm not sure which model it is, but it doesn't have a tower. It's just one big monitor with everything in there. Got it about 3 years ago. And does it come with a specific tiger firmware? Like 10.4.3 or something? Or is it just 10.4?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Okay, I think we need to clear a few things up. A Power Mac G5 looks like this. It contains the PowerPC G5 processor, but it isn't the only Mac that has used that processor. What you have is the iMac G5, which also contains said processor.

Firmware controls stuff like starting the computer, sleeping, and temperature regulation. It is unique to each model and revision of Mac, but most Macs never see more than a couple of firmware updates in their lifetime. These updates almost never add features (only in one case that I know of), just fix problems with the hardware not behaving as it should. Firmware updates don't affect the data stored on the hard drive, so if you erase or replace the drive, they won't need to be re-downloaded and re-installed.

Mac OS X Tiger is software, not firmware. Specifically, it is the operating system that the computer runs. It manages files, runs applications, and so forth. It receives (or received) periodic updates, most of which affect all Macs running Tiger, be it iMac or Power Mac or whatever.

Which version of Mac OS X Tiger shipped on the disks depends when you bought the computer. I believe Tiger shipped with versions 10.4.0, 10.4.2, 10.4.4, and 10.4.7 at various times, just to avoid putting terribly outdated versions on store shelves. In all cases, updating to the latest version of Tiger (10.4.11) is free and automatic. As well, if the computer is more than one revision behind (going from 10.4.9 to 10.4.11 rather than 10.4.10 to 10.4.11), the computer will download what's called a "combo update", which will upgrade any version of the operating system to 10.4.11. That means whether you have the 10.4.0 or 10.4.7 disks, your computer will download the same 180 MB package to upgrade to 10.4.11 after the install completes.

Bottom line? It doesn't matter. Tiger is Tiger, so just run Software Update until there are no more updates to be had.

Where is all of this coming from? I have a horrid feeling you're about to try something rash.

Ceapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Okay, I think we need to clear a few things up. A Power Mac G5 looks like this. It contains the PowerPC G5 processor, but it isn't the only Mac that has used that processor. What you have is the iMac G5, which also contains said processor.

Firmware controls stuff like starting the computer, sleeping, and temperature regulation. It is unique to each model and revision of Mac, but most Macs never see more than a couple of firmware updates in their lifetime. These updates almost never add features (only in one case that I know of), just fix problems with the hardware not behaving as it should. Firmware updates don't affect the data stored on the hard drive, so if you erase or replace the drive, they won't need to be re-downloaded and re-installed.

Mac OS X Tiger is software, not firmware. Specifically, it is the operating system that the computer runs. It manages files, runs applications, and so forth. It receives (or received) periodic updates, most of which affect all Macs running Tiger, be it iMac or Power Mac or whatever.

Which version of Mac OS X Tiger shipped on the disks depends when you bought the computer. I believe Tiger shipped with versions 10.4.0, 10.4.2, 10.4.4, and 10.4.7 at various times, just to avoid putting terribly outdated versions on store shelves. In all cases, updating to the latest version of Tiger (10.4.11) is free and automatic. As well, if the computer is more than one revision behind (going from 10.4.9 to 10.4.11 rather than 10.4.10 to 10.4.11), the computer will download what's called a "combo update", which will upgrade any version of the operating system to 10.4.11. That means whether you have the 10.4.0 or 10.4.7 disks, your computer will download the same 180 MB package to upgrade to 10.4.11 after the install completes.

Bottom line? It doesn't matter. Tiger is Tiger, so just run Software Update until there are no more updates to be had.

Where is all of this coming from? I have a horrid feeling you're about to try something rash.

Just wondering, and thanks for enlightening me :p . So if my iMac came with lets say 10.4.2, and the OS was erased because of mounting, would 10.4.0 be able to be installed onto that iMac? Because I heard that if you install an earlier version, something wrong will happen to the computer. Or will that only happen if OS 10.3 or earlier is installed?
Sorry if my question is hard to understand, It's a bit hard to explain.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
No, there's no reason you couldn't install an older version of OS X if you wanted to, so long as you're not trying to install an Intel version on your PowerPC Mac or vice versa, which will just refuse to work. You can't physically damage the computer by trying to install an unauthorized operating system.

And no, there is no difference between installing 10.4.0 and 10.4.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.