Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McBryde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I have a strange conundrum which I hope you'll be able to throw some light on..

I have just bought a second hand Formac Disk 250 XTR and it doesn't mount on my early 2009 MacMini [OS X.9.5] - although:

• the person I bought it from can see it on his Mac [running Mavericks like mine];

• my FW 800 port is functioning ok [tested]. I did manage to mount a friends ext HD with FW800 connections OK;

• the Formac Disk 250 XTR FW800 port was tested before it was sent;

• the Formac Disk 250 XTR does mount on my old Mac PPC laptop OK;

• the lead has been tested and works;

• firmware is up to date.

All that's left, I think, is a question of software. Does anyone know if I need a driver?

Thank you in anticipation for you input!

John Fuller, Skelmersdale, Lancashire, UK

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
All that's left, I think, is a question of software. Does anyone know if I need a driver?

You should not need an additional driver for that drive AFAIK. However I have an idea for you. This is a bit of a long shot. Your drive appears to be a FW 400/800 drive. Try a 400 cable as a workaround test like this person did. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1457062?tstart=0

You reported plenty of information about the drive and your testing. However, when you verified the operation of your FW port on that 2009 Mac mini it tested good for FW 800 operation. Perhaps you can force the drive to work at the older standard for now. :apple:

McBryde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Thank you, C.
I've just ordered an adaptor to try that out ... using my old 400 FW cable.
I'll let you know what happens. :)
John

Reactions: Celerondon

McBryde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Yup - that did it. You, Sir, are (probably) a genius! :)
Thank you.
John

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
You are quite welcome John! :oops: (blushing)

In truth, your detailed query made the diagnosis fairly routine. You performed the tests and checks that a resourceful technician would do and then posted a concise list of data.

I saw your original post languishing with no replies and decided to try to help. I am pleased that we got that Formac Disk 250 working with your Mac. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.