Mounting Time Capsule after Waking from Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW008, Dec 12, 2008.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

It seems like that I have to mount the Time Capsule every time I turn on the computer or wake it from sleep in order for the backups to start going every hour. Does anyone else have this problem?

For myself, this is really more of an annoyance than a problem as that I rarely sleep/turn off my computer and check often to make sure everything is backing up. The problem is I really want to get a TC for my parents and they won't do that kind of stuff. In fact, I could probably plug it in for them somewhere around their house, set it to back up, and the only time they would ever notice that I had changed it out from their old Airport Extreme (the flying saucer shaped one!), would be if they lost something and called me to see if I knew how to get it back.

I know there probably isn't a fix for this problem, but wanted to see if it's a problem specific to my TC set up or if it's one that everyone is having. Thanks!

2. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

Don't mean to be a smart arse, but what do you mean by "mount" your TC? I don't have a TC, but will by the end of the month (if Santa doesn't bring it, I'll buy one myself :) ). I was hoping it would be more convenient than my current back up system.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Try using shorter names for the mac and the TC, without strange characters.

4. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry, I should have made that more clear.

The Time Capsule appears in my shared networks list, but unless I actually click on the TC in that list, it won't be available for back up.

Thanks for the suggestion. Quick question: what's the definition of "shorter" and "strange characters?" The name of my iMac is Jordon's iMac and the name of my TC is "Time Capsule." Should I just shorten those to iMac and TC? Thanks again!

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Good question. In other posts I have seen that using names that are not longer than 8 characters for both of them made the difference. Try using only letters and numbers.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

If the password for the base station isn't saved in your keychain, it won't automatically mount.

7. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

How do you get it to save your password in "keychain"?