Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Have a 55" panel, VESA 300x300, to mount to a stone fireplace above a mantle. Fireplace is glassed-in, gas-burning. TV basically has to go there. Am aware of view angle potential issues.

Electric outlet and HDMI cable run to location. A wooden insert is present in the stone and is 14" wide, just over 9" high.

Having a hard time finding an appropriate mount I could attach to that wooden insert which I presume is there for this purpose, and to spare myself having to go exploring and putting holes in the fireplace.

Thoughts on doing this / a mount suitable which also adjusts/tilts/swivels? Appreciate any help.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Have a 55" panel, VESA 300x300, to mount to a stone fireplace above a mantle. Fireplace is glassed-in, gas-burning. TV basically has to go there. Am aware of view angle potential issues.

Electric outlet and HDMI cable run to location. A wooden insert is present in the stone and is 14" wide, just over 9" high.

Having a hard time finding an appropriate mount I could attach to that wooden insert which I presume is there for this purpose, and to spare myself having to go exploring and putting holes in the fireplace.

Thoughts on doing this / a mount suitable which also adjusts/tilts/swivels? Appreciate any help.

I highly recommend Monoprice for TV mounts: https://www.monoprice.com/pages/tv_wall_mounts They have a great selection, the price is right, and most (not all) are very sturdy. You should have no trouble finding what you need there.

Yes, the wooden insert is almost certainly intended for your TV mount. A slight downward tilt should make your TV comfortably viewable. Do check to make sure the mantle blocks most of the heat from the fireplace, as heat and TVs don't mix. It's probably designed that way, but it's worth checking.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the input, all.

The issue I was having is that I'm trying to not drill into the stone -- but I also found a VIVO counterbalance mount on an arm that looks like it'll fit the bill. I hope.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Specifically -- this is what I was looking at using for a 55", ~45 pound TV -- https://vivo-us.com/products/mount-vw03g . Any thoughts for better or worse?

I'd love to use a Monoprice mount, but I think the wall side of the mount would go way beyond the wooden insert. Was trying to just keep holes to the wood if possible.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
i actually sawed my oak mantle down so it only protrudes a few inches from the stone, then mounted 'sliding' omni mount directly to it. when the fire place isnt in use, the TV is "low" and at comfortable viewing height. if the fireplace is in use, the TV can be slid up 18". fireplace is a similar set up to yours, low / zero heat gas and glassed in.

OmniMount LIFT70 Height Adjustable Tilt TV Mount
Link: https://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-LIFT70-Height-Adjustable-Mount/dp/B00DLKE91C

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
OmniMount looks interesting... have to look into that.

As an aside -- where the speaker wires are run to, I see only a single + and - wire. There are multiple in-ceiling speakers across that level of the house. Two of them are directly behind where a couch would be, facing the mantle and fireplace in question. Several others through other rooms. The owners tell me it isn't zoned -- rather, volume controls on walls throughout.

Two wires for that kind of setup? What am I missing?

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
if you need to expand your mounting area, simply attach a larger sheet of plywood to the existing wood you have to work with to support everything.

not sure i follow whats going on with your speaker hook ups. if the room is wired for 5.1 or 7.1 you should have a hookup for each speaker to go to your receiver. maybe you are overlooking where they have routed the speaker wires to? use a little jumper wire, use a 9 volt battery and tap the + - terminal and it will "click" the speaker its hooked up to.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
if you need to expand your mounting area, simply attach a larger sheet of plywood to the existing wood you have to work with to support everything.

not sure i follow whats going on with your speaker hook ups. if the room is wired for 5.1 or 7.1 you should have a hookup for each speaker to go to your receiver. maybe you are overlooking where they have routed the speaker wires to? use a little jumper wire, use a 9 volt battery and tap the + - terminal and it will "click" the speaker its hooked up to.

Would end up having to craft something or attach a panel with a cutout or something -- they chose to place the outlet and HDMI run smack in the middle of said wood.

As for the speaker wires, I don't think they intended a true 5.1 or otherwise. Literally just the two ceiling speakers, presumably to fill the house, with scattered single speakers in other rooms on that same level. Each has a volume control slider on wall. Will check again but all I'm seeing are those two wires from what I can recall.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
ahhh i understand. well chances are the speakers are old and prob wont match up to a proper surround set up. maybe its time to just install new, matched speakers in the wall (and ceiling). maybe just use the existing ones on a second zone for music.

argh frustrating with the mount placement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.