Mounting with internal drive bay or eSATA, any difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I currently have more HDs than my 09 MP can accommodate (already have 1 in the 2nd optical bay). Yet I keep one of the 4 bays as non essential, in case I have to troubleshoot a HD for either myself or friends/family.

I also have a eSATA docking station, that is plugged in using an eSATA Sil3132 card.

If I have to troubleshoot a problematic hard drive, does it make any difference if I mount it in one of the 4 internal bays, or using the eSATA dock?

Thanks

Loa

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

With the eSATA dock, it would depend on whether you need to boot OS X from the eSATA card or not (it's unable to do so, only Windows or Linux). Assuming you don't, it shouldn't be a problem with the dock.

If you do need to try and boot OS X on it for some reason, you'd want to place it on one of the HDD ports in the system (bay 1 - 4 or one of the ODD ports).

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thx Nano. If I ever need to boot OS X with an external drive, I have a USB back-up that will do the trick.

I was asking because I have a SSD boot drive (without the Users folder) in the 2nd optical bay, and I would use the 4 regular bays for a 4 disk RAID0 set (one of the partitions would have the Users folder).

(I'm currently using the same setup, only with a 3 disk RAID0 set.)

So with a 4 disk setup, I won't be able to remove any of the disks.

But my USB and eSATA external drives/docks, I should be fine.

Loa

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You should be just fine then. :)

It was hard to tell what was going on, as there was some mising information... //shakes head// :eek: :rolleyes: :D :p

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: NP. :)