Mourn the loss of the MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macman45, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I owned one for nearly two years I think, then decided I had too much stuff, it wasn't being used so I sold it to a member here. Yes, it was heavy, I mean REALLY heavy, but the 17" screen, and the top end cpu made it quick. I ran Logic X on it and it never pinwheeled or let me down. I had just bought a new MBA at the time and parted with it for that reason alone. They'll never make another large screen laptop, but I do miss the old best a lot. Workdesk4.jpg

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It is easy to mourn things once they are gone I guess. You say it wasn't being used, so you sold it. Would you use it now, if you still had it?

The reason I ask, is like you, I have a 17" that has barely been used and too much stuff. Not sure if I would mourn the loss of it, if I parted with it, or not

3. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I'm using mine right now. I bought a replacement because I couldn't get it restarted in any mode but the emergency boot for restoring it. But when I was near an Apple Store over the holidays they got it running again, so it's now my backup, and second screen for watching video while I do other things on the new one. The resolution is fine for streaming video. Really like that matte screen too when the sun is shining through the windows.

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I really haven't used mine in awhile, not that I ever used it before. I believe it has less than 30 cycles on the battery, if that's any indication of how little use it has gotten. I replaced an older 17" model I had, but in the end found the 15" MBP was my "go to"

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

Carry it a mile or two with the power supply. The love will be gone.

7. Benchobi1 macrumors newbie

Depends on how you carry it. My 2009 17" travels with me every work day. I have a Tom Bihn backpack with two snake charmers full of cables and adapters. I also carry a netbook and an iPad. The whole rig has been all over the country and really isn't that bad since the backpack really works well to distribute the weight. Airport checkpoints can be a hassle with all the copper.

I don't work for Tom Bihn. I just think they make good products.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

Still use the 17" every day. The screen real estate is glorious. It's funny how many people comment on it on campus in workshops.

I carry mine in a backpack to school (sometimes biking, which is about 25km each way). Doesn't really bother me at 6 lbs. +/- 2 lbs is hardly noticeable, especially as I bring books, food, and water as well.

I don't have to bring the charger as it still gets 8 hours of battery life... mostly because the battery is so large I could strap wheels and a motor to this thing and drive it home. :cool:

If they brought back the 17" with the new form factor, it'd probably be around 4.7 lbs, so it wouldn't be such an issue. The latest 17" is now two full generations behind, which is why it seems so bulky.

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I'd love to see Apple come back with a 17 inch that is F-it-style-large, uses desktop RAM, has a massive battery, offers more ports that one can comprehend (including PCI & SAS), and uses a higher wattage Nvidia 10xx GPU. Hell, if Apple took the case size of the former 17-inch, they have enough talent where they could fit a 6 core CPU + a very large low-RPM fan inside it if they set their mind to it (and they certainly have enough influence in the processor industry.)

Apple could do it, and it would be a monster of a computer, and it would be stupidly expensive...and it would probably lose them a lot of money. They could call it the 'MacBook Pro Plus' or the 'MacPro Book' with the tagline of "If you thought USB-C was a shocker...". If I'm going to spend $3,800 already, what's another $1,500 or so?

10. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I dunno. . . Razer did it with their new 2016 Blade Pro, and I initially went that route... and for what little time I had it it was a PIG to carry around at 7.5 lbs. After a number of "misfortunes" With the Razer quality lottery, I ended up returning it and picking up the 2016 15" MacBook Pro, and I'm a LOT happier overall.

I'm also a tech addict, and I can tell you first hand I've had seller's remorse a LOT over the past few years.... But if I'm honest with myself, those machines I've sold would have wasted and died unused in my house: heck, even now I have a desktop, three laptops, an iPad Pro 12.9.....

It's hard to let go sometimes. . . but better it go to someone who will use it than to take up space and waste away.

11. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I've read that the Razer doesn't have the reliability nor the refinement of the MBP - is that true?

It seems unlikely a 17-inch comeback as such would be financially successful given the insane price & practicality it entails, but if any company could build a laptop that manages to deliver on the ridiculous performance that nearly borders insanity, but also has industry-leading refinement & quality, I could see Apple being the one to do it. (Now how that would be financially justifiable over a 13 or 15 inch MBP + an iMac or refurbished MacPro, I could not say, but it would still be a cool computer even if totally impractical!)