Mouse Acceleration Curve / Intellipoint Fix

Discussion in 'macOS' started by truz05, Nov 14, 2009.

1. truz05 macrumors newbie

Hey. I’m new to the forums. I’m not a complete dummy but I am not too good with macs, as I have ony switched over from a PC a couple of months ago. I have a new unibody MBP. Everything is fine, except for the mousing situation.

I have done some research as to why the mouse feel is downright brutal for me with OSX. The acceleration curve is different than in Windows. My only complaint with Apple right now is that they do not offer any kind of fix for this. I want to throw my macbook out the window when using an external mouse.

MS Intellipoint is supposedly the only true fix. Anyways from what I have read, MS Intellipoint will only override OSX’s cursor acceleration curve when using a Microsoft mouse. This person (link at bottom) found a way around it, although I think he is doing it with an "alphagrip". I need to see if I can do it with a Logitech wireless mouse. On the bottom, people commented that it worked for them. I find his directions very unclear, but that may be because I am not a wizard.

So, wizards…would you be so kind as to read this over and let me know if you think it makes sense. And how would I go about doing this for a Logitech wireless mouse versus this guy’s “alphagrip”? Thanks so much!

http://groups.google.com/group/alphagrip/browse_thread/thread/4174e7cf5ed909aa?pli=1

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

You could install USB Overdrive (usboverdrive.com) and just disable acceleration without any fuss.

3. truz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Done that. Done pretty much everything. It isn't a fix. It makes it better. I don't have pictures of each curve, so I couldnt say, but making the accel. 0 does not fix it. Call me picky or whatever, but I can't function with it like that.

Anyone have a clue what that guy was actually doing in that link? Please? 40something viewers and one response :eek:

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

He installed the MS Intellpoint drivers and modified them so that his AlphaGrip mouse was recognized by them and thus used the speed and acceleration settings from them. So in theory you can use those instructions but use the idProduct and idVendor codes from whatever mouse you're using (don't know how you'd find those, though).

OR you could install Logitech's drivers which also modify the curve.

5. truz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been down that road. Seems to me and many many others that Logitech's drivers don't modify the curve at all.

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I got out of it too. So the only thing I would have to replace would be the idProduct and idVendor? Anyone know where to find these?

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

USB Overdrive works just fine for that. You just need to find the right settings. I use a MS mouse at home using Intellipoint drivers and a basic HP mouse at work with USB Overdrive and can't notice any real difference between them. USB Overdrive works fine with Logitech mice, just don't install Logitech drivers.

7. truz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, you're wrong. USB Overdrive allows you to adjust the accel. and the speed. That is not the accel. CURVE. Maybe you're just not as sensitive to it. Dare I said it... I would rather go the Microsoft way :eek:

Anyone know how to get the idProduct and idVendor codes?

8. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

If there is no acceleration, there is no acceleration curve :p

9. truz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've turned off acceleration using difference programs. It helps, but like I said it isn't a fix. That would leave one to assume that on a PC, there is acceleration. I don't know, but I would rather not have USB Overdrive forced down my throat. I already ate it and puked it up. Along with SteerMouse and a couple of others. That is not the answer. Now anyone have a clue how to find a idProduct or Product ID? I know the Vendor code is 0x046d for Logitech.

10. truz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh. So is there a good forum someone can recommend? :eek: