Mouse Acceleration differences between OS X and Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ryan P, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Ryan P macrumors regular

As a long time Windows user when I first started using OS X a couple years ago, I remember the mouse control driving me nuts. It can be quite hard to get used to the OS X acceleration control. I explored a couple of the programs to let you customize the acceleration, but I guess my brain eventually just adapted as it stopped bothering me.

Now though, I am spending a good amount of time in Win 7 on my new Mac Pro. I'm finding that again, every time I go into OS X I find the mouse control very hard to adjust to. It's a Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse and I installed the drivers in both Win 7 and OS X.

Perhaps I am just loosing my mind...but it would be nice if I could have the exact same mouse experience when switching between OS's.

(edit: As a little bit of a further observation, I think the Win 7 mouse refresh rate is several times faster than what I observing in OS X and this is probably a big part of why I am feeling like I have more control in Win 7. Doing circles with my mouse in Win 7 creates a much more complete circle.)

2. scottsjack macrumors 68000

You're right about the big difference. I use a Logitech LX3 wired optical mouse on my MP/Samsung 24in. Its speed is set to the third notch down from "Fast". It and my ancient MS Optical Wheel Mouse (also wired) work OK at that setting but don't have the live responsive feel that they do on Windows.

If I use my BT Mighty Mouse or Magic Mouse on the MP they feel like crap. (Well, actually the Magic Mouse feels like crap at all times unless it's put away in its box).

I use the Mighty Mouse on my MBP 15 with tracking set to maximum fast. On the 15 inch screen the Mighty Mouse performs really well and has become a great mouse to drag around with a laptop.

The goofy Mac mouse performance may be one of those Jobs things. He likes the way it feels and by God that the way it will remain. OTOH the Magic mouse is a Jobs/Ives device being strange looking, metalic and too small to be useful.

3. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The standard acceleration really is a PITA. The first thing I install when I get a new Mac is the Microsoft mouse driver for my Microsoft IntelliPoint.
    It makes the acceleration exactly like on Windows. :D

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Not saying you don't have a legitimate problem, but I laugh every time one of these threads come up. I switch between Windows and OS X on a regular basis and have no problem with the mouse acceleration on either, but I imagine that's because I used Macs well before I ever touched a Windows PC.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I use MouseZoom to fix the issue. It's a free preference pane.

8. Cboss macrumors 6502

I also started with Macs and have never noticed a difference when using Windows. I think some people are just more sensitive to the mouse issues, like how a few people have problems when using certain monitors.