Mouse Acceleration in OSX

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SCOLANATOR, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

So I've had my first Mac since November and truly love it. I also really like OSX (aside from some really minor things).

Well I've tried out the Magic mouse and while nice it's pretty useless for what I use it for (gaming) so I went and got a Logitech Performance MX - great mouse, so ergonomic unlike the Magic Mouse.

But my biggest issue is Mouse Acceleration, it makes using the mouse a bit awkward, like trying to make small movements I always either over compensate or I don't move it enough. I would really appreciate a way to disable this for my mouse (and not for the trackpad).
    Thankyou

:confused:

2. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

OK so I found a Terminal code to turn off mouse acceleration which works. But when I use that it turns to sensivity down several notches to a rather low point where it means I have to make big sweeping movements. This doesn't affect the trackpad which is good.

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

But as soon as I then try to increase the sensitivity to something reasonable to re-enables mouse acceleration. C'mon Apple seriously? Pretty much flawless OS and here Windows stamps all over you with simple MA on or off options.

Any ideas?

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Have you installed Logitech'h control panel yet?

I have no idea if it'll do what you need but that's where I'd start. I believe it'll put a panel in the system settings specifically fro logitech devices.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/3129

4. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Yeh I've done that, no option to change mouse acceleration, only to map different buttons.

5. jpeezy macrumors regular

One word....... SteerMouse

My cursor settings : 0.375 Tracking Speed, 250 Sensitivity

You're Welcome! :)

6. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

CursorSense

With my 27" display and a TrackPad, I found CoursorSense the perfect solution as it allows one to adjust both acceleration and sensitivity.

You might want to give the demo a go. Shareware (US $9.99) at: http://plentycom.jp/en/cursorsense/

7. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

$20 or $10 to fix mouse acceleration is a little ridiculous, think I'd rather just put up with this stunning but small display of stupidity from Apple. This is the first real thing I've come across where I think, 'what the hell Apple?', seems like such a straightforward thing to fix, a single checkbox for MA on or off.

8. Shockre macrumors member

download steelseries exact mouse tool. free, 1 click on-off acceleration and nothing else.

9. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

if you want windows-like acceleration, try smoothmouse, its free and works great. i never could get used to os x mouse acceleration

10. termhn macrumors newbie

If anyone else is looking for a solution, here goes:

1. Download and unroll the tarball here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/down...le.php?id=9698
    2. You should now have a file in downloads called killmouseaccel with no extension. I decided to rename it to killma (no extension still) for convenience and you should to to make the rest of the guide work.
    3. Right click and copy the newly renamed killma file
    4. In the top menu in finder click go and then go to folder and type in "/usr/local/bin"
    5. Paste (Command-V) killma into this folder
    6. You should now be able to open terminal (click spotlight or Command-Spacebar then type terminal) and then run:

killma mouse

to eliminate your acceleration.
    7. To make this automatically apply on startup, inside terminal do the following. It will ask for your password, when you type it it won't actually type any letters but you are actually typing. Just type in your password and hit enter:

sudo mkdir /System/Library/StartupItems/killma && cd $_
    sudo nano killma.sh

7a. You're now in a little text editor. Type the following:

#! /bin/bash
    killma mouse

7b. Press Control-X and then Y when asked if you want to save the buffer

7c. Now run:

sudo chmod +x killma.sh

8. Done! It should kill your mouse accel at startup now.