mouse advice... magic mouse users??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brendu, Jan 1, 2010.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

so my iMac mouse (logitech mx revolution) is crapping out lately and I am planning on replacing it. for those of you using the magic mouse for a while now, what are your thoughts on it? is it worth the extra cost over a generic microsoft wireless mouse? keep in mind that the iMac is my secondary computer to a macbook pro.

so basically, are there any problems with the magic mouse or is it finally a great mouse from apple?

I know there are other threads on the magic mouse but im hoping for thoughts now that it has been out for awhile... thanks.

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

i went from a logitech mx revolution to the magic mouse and i absolutely love it.

i dont know about you but i hated the scroll wheel on the mx revolution. the touch scrolling is very nice. the only thing i can comment on is that the magic mouse is so small compared to the logitech.

I would still recommend it though. its WAY better than the previous apple bluetooth mighty mouse

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I've been using mine since Christmas. I think it is great for browsing the web, scrolling up and down, left and right. It is very responsive. The single and double click perform well. I never used the other options other mouses have so I can't comment on that. I wish it had a way to use expose, but I have just set my keyboard up instead so it works for me. Now anxious to see what the battery life is like.

4. Reviewer macrumors newbie

Magic mouse Vs Wired

Magic mouse is a great choice, if you're not a big fan of using "hot corners" you may want to start using them and play around with the settings. also, you may run in to the issue i have on my imac not pairing up with the mouse after a battery change. when you take the battery off to change for fresh ones my imac tends not to find it and i end up using one of my iphone apps (snatch test) to get the bluetooth utility run the scan one more time. besides that i love the magic mouse and it really does work.
    :)

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I like it and use it at my in-laws a lot. My mother in law likes it, but she did say it's hard to play her games. Maybe she'll get use to it.

6. bkspero macrumors regular

Lukewarm on Magic Mouse

I am using a Magic Mouse on a home theater computer, but have mixed feelings. Love the scrolling and zoom feature (can be hard to read text from the seating position). Tracking is pretty good. It reads on our sofa fabric where some other mice have problems.

Swiping is useful for web navigation, but I use the tilt wheel of my Win7 desktop's Logitech mouse for the same purpose. Not as sexy, but I can leave my hand in position while tilting the scroll wheel, whereas swiping requires that I lift my hand. I find the shape too flat and worry about carpal tunnel from, what is for me, an unnatural hand position (I can't keep my hand flat on the top of the mouse and get all the functions to work, so I control it from the two sides with 2 fingers and I am holding my hand up using my wrist muscles).

I miss the scrollwheel center click of the logitech mouse. I tried using the MagicPrefs software to add that function, but it caused other issues and I wound up removing it. Finally, it is a minor irritation to have to lift my left finger from the mouse when doing a right-click.

Overall, I think I will continue to try and work with the Magic Mouse for the zoom and scrolling, but will drop it if wristpain develops. If I was deciding again, I would look for a more ergonimic design.

7. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

The Magic Mouse is an absolutely gorgeous mouse, and it's simplicity is really amazing, but IMO, it's also a weakness.

If you're a power user and/or have gotten used to the extra functionality of your Revolution, I'd suggest checking out the Logitech Performance MX (uses Logitech's new Darkfield tracking)and the Logitech Anywhere MX (notebook version). Also take a look at the new Microsoft mice using Bluetrack.

Comfort wise, it's user preference. Have you tried one out?

8. Jonnyapplenuts macrumors newbie

I use it daily and find it ok but still prefer a more substantial logitech.

1. Too small.
    2. Too flat (feels like pushing around a thin deck of playing cards).
    3. Too symmetrical top and bottom, need a wider top end surface area IMHO.

I work all day on a computer mac and pc and find the magic mouse lacking the ergonomics for long term use. I guess Jobs thinks a cute mouse will outsell a functional mouse.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've had mine since two days after they came out. I love it. Navigation is such a breeze it's become second nature. My one complaint is that for some applications, like VLC, it's too sensitive. Perhaps I don't hold it correctly, but when I try to scroll up to increase the volume (for instance) i'll end up scrubbing to like 20 minutes away from where I was with the slightest gesture. Tracking is pretty accurate and beats the pants off the now-bulky mighty mouse.

10. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I don't use mine everyday since I am on a laptop (MBA) but when I do, I really like it. It took me a few minutes to get used to it because I have large hands and the Magic Mouse is very low profile/thin. But it feels very natural now. It works great when manipulating data in Excel and surfing the web.

For grins, I downloaded the crack driver for Windows7 and installed it on my Desktop PC but there I did not like it. I play a lot of games and the lack of extra buttons (on my PC, I use a Logitech G500 with 7 buttons) was really limiting for me. On the my MacBook Air, it is great. Also, the thinness of the Magic Mouse makes it nice when putting it in my laptop bag.

Hope that helps!