mouse advise: vx nano or v470 bt?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macchiato2009, Mar 22, 2010.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

hi

i'm hesitating between 2 logitech mouses:

v470 or vx nano

to be used with my mac mini

i already tried the v470 and know its shape, a bit round a heavy with 2 batteries but it has the advantage of being bluetooth

on the other side, vx nano seems to be a best seller, but couldn't try it, i haven't seen it in store...

please let me know your thoughts

thanks

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I own both a Logitech VX Nano and a Logitech V470.

I much prefer the VX Nano as for me it feels more comfortable and is a bit lighter, though it is slightly smaller. I tend to use my fingers to push the mouse around rather than rest my wrist on it, though both seem a bit too small to comfortably rest your wrist on.

Though more importantly the VX Nano feels a lot more precise whereas the V470 feels more sluggish and a bit jumpy. I don't think this is an issue with the Bluetooth either as my Magic mouse, Mighty mouse and Wacom Graphire BT all work fine and the problem has been reported by other people.

3. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks for your feedback

for sure, the v470 is heavier than others

i'll go for a vx nano

thx

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'd go for the V470 because of the Bluetooth, not needing a USB thingy to plug into your computer is a blessing, i wish Logitech would make a VX Nano version with Bluetooth, or any version of their performance mice with Bluetooth

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Logitech doesn't make the VX Nano anymore. I just had mine replaced with the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX™. It's essentially the same mouse, but works on any surface, including glass.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Mice

I just ordered the Logitech Anywhere MX and I'll keep you posted when I get it. $15 rebate plus 25% off when I ordered it, so 60 -15 = 45 if the rebate ever works out.

My experience is that only Apple and Kensington make Bluetooth Mice that work great, not ok, with Macs. Could be different now? The Logitech nano receiver is great. I currently have a Log 450 that looks like the current 505. It's ok but not enough buttons and but more importantly, the shape is awkward. Looking forward to the slightly bigger Anywhere MX.

7. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

in Europe, we still have the VX nano

8. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I use the Nano at work with my PC and love the mouse. I am give the magic mouse a go at home with our new iMac but it is simply not as easy to use and as comfortable. The only problem with the Nano is if you have CAD programs that spin/tumble by pushing the middle scroll wheel like ProE does. On the Nano pushing down changes from free wheel spinning or clicked. The tilt push of the wheel is nice, I have that set up for volume.
    The battery life on the Nano is great due to its very long power down feature.

9. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

10. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

That's a great price, who has them for that? I am still giving my Magic Mouse a little more time but when I return to work the Nano just feels so good.

11. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

got it "used" on a merchant website, but the package is totally sealed, never used

12. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

But the VX Nano are still for sale and can be had for $49 at Amazon, which is a great price.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3rd party sellers may still have some in stock, but Logitech has discontinued them.

14. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

GGJstudies just curious with your Anywhere mouse if you are using the free wheeling scroll wheel or the click?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer the free wheeling mode, especially with long web pages or large pdf documents. Makes zipping through the forums very fast.

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I've owned both... The VX Nano is a much better mouse. Much more responsive and it has a better form factor. I find the V470 to not be able to track fast enough. I also fount that it would easily get very jumpy. Go w/ the VX Nano!

17. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

just got the vx nano

it is simply awesome

i've using logitech mice forever and this is probably the best i've ever had :)

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congratulations! I had the VX Nano for about 2 years and it was, by far, the best mouse I've ever used. The battery life is amazing (4-6 months) and it's very reliable, even averaging 15+ hours a day, every day. I'd still be using one now if Logitech had them available when they replaced mine with the Anywhere Mouse MX.

19. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Outstanding and glad you like it as well. I have been using the Nano for over a year at work and absolutely love it and as mentioned the battery life is incredible. I just could not get comfortable with the Magic Mouse that came with my iMac so I brought hoe the Nano to try for a week. In that evening I knew I have to switch. I actually think the Nano felt better on my mac than my work PC. But in part by the recommendation by GGJstudios I went with the Anywhere Mouse and as he mentioned is edges out the Nano. You simply can't go wrong with either and you have so much control.

I don't know if you have programmed any buttons yet but something that works real nice is to take advantage of the push left and push right of the scroll wheel. Make that volume up and down. I really like that set up.