MOuse buttons - Change there function?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hansen1142, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hansen1142 macrumors newbie

Hi..

I have a quick question..

I got a Logitech G5 Refresh mouse, and have had it for allmost 2 years now. I'm a windows man that has just turned in to OS X about 14 days ago, så still have a very lot to learn..

But the thing is, that i was used to - in Windows, that i could browse forward and backwards with the 2 buttons placed close to my thumb on the mouse, instead of the browser/applications forward and backwards buttons..

Is there a way to do so in OS X? I've looked in Preferences, but i did'nt really find anything usefull..

Thanks

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You might want to get either SteerMouse or USBoverdrive -- both are 3rd party solutions and will cost a few kroner (=~$20).

3. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the first time an american has mentioned "Kroner" for me :D

Well, thank's - I'll try them both, and buy the best one for me :)

4. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, this one i need a little help to find out:

[​IMG]

How do i make the Browser-setting ? I don't really understand how i make that arrow that points left og right.

How do i make that arrow?

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

First find out what button number to assign a key combination to - this is explained by the text under the mouse in the picture you posted.

Then you need the correct keyboard shortcut for the action. I believe you are looking for "Command [" and "Command ] " without those quotes. [SteerMouse is what I am using.]

6. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know if i'm just stupid, but nomatter what, i can't get the button 4 and 5 to browse back- and forward in the browser :confused:

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

The interface can be a bit more intuitive. :)

When you are in the second figure titles Button 4 in this case, click on the checkbox for CMD and then press the [ in the box that says "cmd". ( It will then say "cmd + [" without the quotes everywhere in this message.) Likewise for the other button.

Attached Files:

• one.jpg
      one.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
    • two.jpg
      two.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously, i think i'm a complete idiot :eek:

How do i put in the [ in that box? I can only put in letters or numbers.. No special signs.. :(

9. BobZune macrumors 6502a

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Doesn't Logitech make a driver available for OS X? It seems like their support is pretty good. I'm able to configure my MX Revolution without using Steermouse.

11. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not that i don't know how to make the [.. It's that the Steermouseprogram won't allow me to put anything else in the field than A-Z, and 0-9.. Nothing else.. :mad:

12. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find any for a G5

13. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

14. BobZune macrumors 6502a

LCC has been reported to have some issues (and some mice don't show up). If it does work without issues, great!

As for OP's question, it may be a possible bug - unfortunately the support page seems to have the email address removed. It is worth contacting postmaster@plentycom.jp and asking a report be forwarded to the developer if you want to go to that trouble. [I can send my prefs file (on a PowerMac G5, their site implies they can be copied/backed up for PPC machine to PPC machine) if you want - that might allow editing, since I am using a slightly different Logitech mouse.]

Perhaps you might have better luck with USBoverdrive. [The Apple site also lists SteerMouse - not that they endorse it - I have been a happy user for years on the G5.]

15. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't find my G5 :)

I'll give them a mail.. I just responded to your PM as well :)

16. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Ugh -- sorry I realized that you didn't mean G5 as in PowerMac G5! The prefs file I sent might not work (their site says it won't, between PPC and Intel architectures) - so you can put the saved prefs for your Intel based machine (in my instructions) back in the same place with the same name as before, if you want to experiment further with your old prefs file.

I am still curious about why setting the right prefrences from the SysPref panel doesn't work for you (all permissions repaired? restarted?).

I apologize for mis-reading the G5 model mouse as G5 processor. You might have to try the above or alternate solutions.

17. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe, that's okay..

Well, yup.. Restarded, fixed permissions, etc.. I have even tried modifying with the keyboard-layout set to danish.. I wil only allow me to put in normal letters, ant numbers..

What make's me smile, is that i can use Æ Ø Å <- Scandinavien letters, but i can't use a very simple international sign :rolleyes:

18. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now i've just tried USBoverdrive, with Steermouse uninstalled.. The settings are ok, but i still can't browse forward and back with my mouse-buttons..

Silly Mac :(

19. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

20. Hansen1142 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kære Allan :D

Jeg tror du har ret / I think you're right..

Silly Mac / G5.. I'll by a MX Revolution then!:)

21. BobZune macrumors 6502a

MX Revolution is what I have, so it *should* work with SteerMouse. Good luck!

22. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Instead of SteerMouse which is not free I much prefer using the official tool from Logitech since it has everything in an understandable interface. There was a problem with an old version of the Logitech Control Center that stopped Growl and other things but these issues are now fixed.

Edit.. not to say that SteerMouse is not understandable(I just took a look at the website for it and its settings)

23. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I try LCC at every new release and the latest version still doesn't hold a candle to SteerMouse in actual usability and stability. Logitech couldn't code their way out of a wet paper bag when it comes to usable OS X software.