Mouse double click and highlight problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Roland45, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Roland45 macrumors newbie

Hello. My work computer id acting up. I am running Mac OS X, using a standard, single-button mouse. The problem is, it doesn't want to simply click once and double clicks at random times. I'm not sure when it will happen next, but it's getting annoying. Also, it seems the computer is having trouble highlighting text. When I scroll over text to highlight, it will not stay highlighted. This makes quick copying and pasting impossible. Please help.

Keep in mind, this is a work computer and I would not be able to directly manipulate files. Also, our "IT" person usually guesses until she gets it right.

Note: I know that there are probably threads related to this topic, but I did not find any in my searches. I guess the forums match the machines when it comes to not finding what you need.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Is it the mighty mouse, or another single-click mouse brand?

3. Roland45 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Oh, so it might just be the mouse. You should try using a different one and see if that helps.

5. Roland45 thread starter macrumors newbie

have already tried different mouse, used them in differents ports
    same results

6. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

The mouse might need a particular driver to work seamlessly with OS X, a bit like keyboards and printers sometimes do. Search Google for your mouse's product name and codes, if any, and see if there's any OS X drivers you can get from the manufacturers website.

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Try going to system preferences, and under the mouse section where it shows the mighty mouse preferences, make sure everything is selected as single click.

If you have already made sure and you still have the same problem, I would try taking it to Apple.

8. knakki macrumors newbie

I'm also having the same problem. i've used the same double button mouse for about 2 years now. and about a month ago it started doing the double click and highlight problems just like you. anyone know whats up?

9. plunky macrumors newbie

Definitely Snow Leopard - Other Thread

This issue is absolutely unrelated to mouse drivers, 3rd party or otherwise and is 'constant to Snow Leopard' as mentioned in a more in-depth thread on this topic....can these threads be merged?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9138921#post9138921

10. interslice macrumors member

interslice

MAc mouse and highlight problems

I also have been using a trackpad ... the trackpad has become worn over time and seems as if the contacts are too close together causing double clicks!?

I also cannot highlight text in anything on 10.6 - the computer knows I am highlighting but it doesn't show visually?

this is a really annoying problem and i've only found on place online that talks about it ... for which the fix for me doesn't work.

I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6 last week on my macbook intel*
    (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070308031011641)