Mouse for 10ft range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elgrayso, Aug 3, 2014.

1. elgrayso macrumors member

I have a Magic Mouse (model A1296) for my laptop and really like it. However, I've hooked my laptop up to my HDTV (via HDMI) and have been using it from the couch. Now the mouse is 8-10ft away from the computer and is lagging a bit (my apple keyboard is too, but its not that noticeable). Is there a similar or recommended mouse that works perfectly well within this range?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Better Touch Tool has an iOS remote mouse option that uses WiFi.

3. elgrayso thread starter macrumors member

What is weird is that sometimes it works perfectly fine. Also I found out that th mouse is supposed to work at "33 ft".... Not sure what the issue is here

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you missed part of that quote
    "up to 33 feet "
    meaning in a perfect environment, it will go that far.

there are tons of wireless things that operate in the same frequency as bluetooth
    -wifi, cordless phones, baby monitors

if your router is right by the computer, it can cause interference.

also if you're placing the laptop behind the TV or other obstacles, they can also weaken the signal

5. elgrayso thread starter macrumors member

I can't think of anything that would impair the signal. there is nothing physical in between them either.
    Are there mice that are designed to have a stronger signal?

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

My old Apple BT mouse works at 20 feet without issue. My two year old MS wireless mouse also, but that uses a dongle.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Yeah, they're called "iPhones.":rolleyes:

Some mice use a USB dongle and a different frequency radio (5.8ghz?). Their range might not be that far, and they too are subject to interference, but on a different frequency so they might work. Amazon has some for about $20. I've seen wireless mice where the receiver is on a cord, or people use a short USB extension cable with the receiver, so that it can be moved to get better reception. A Mac-compatible USB-Bluetooth dongle might work in the same way, attached to a short USB extension.

But I was only partly kidding about the iPhone (or pretty much any smartphone); there are a bazillion apps to let you use it to control a laptop via wifi and do much more. That's probably why no one AFAIK sells a network mouse.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I think you're confusing interference with physical things blocking the signal. your regular house cordless phones can be a source of interference. They don't have to be physically blocking your mouse and your tv to disrupt the signal.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I have a Verbatim keyboard/mouse combo of the RF variety and they work from 30 feet away.