Mouse for editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by adn rcd dly, Jun 12, 2014.

?

Pick your mouse poison!

1. Apple Magic Mouse

40.0%
  2. Apple Trackpad

26.7%
  3. Apple Mighty Mouse

6.7%
  4. Other (Describe please)

33.3%
  1. adn rcd dly macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

Hello All,

I have been searching the forums and have found 1 post that is 6 years old, so I thought I would bring it up anew.

I used to be an editor using FC Studio 2 on a G5. Pro keyboard, pro mouse, happy. That was many moons ago and I am finally getting back into the groove.

I bought an iMac and have yet to settle on any option for the suite itself because so much has changed. I'm doing trials of AVID, FCPX, and Adobe Premiere Pro. Nothing has stood out as a winner yet, so I will keep cutting away.

Anyway, here's my question. What do you find to be the best mouse for editing? I am using a trackpad at the moment, but I need to replace it kinda soon. I'm not really loving how it feels when editing, but it's neat for other stuff.

Feel free to leave opinions on editing suites too. As I said, I've been out of it for a good number of years. It's almost like learning all over again (and I am loving it!)

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I prefer using a Wacom tablet. If I have to use a mouse I like mice that have good ergonomics and multiple programable buttons like the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. The Mighty Mouse is horrible and the Magic Mouse is okay. I haven't used Apple's stand alone trackpad but I don't like editing with the trackpad on my MBP so I assume I wouldn't like using the stand alone trackpad either. I haven't used one in ages but I used to really like Kensington's ExpertMouse trackball. Some people even like the Logitech G13 'gamepad' (for lack of a better term).

Generally I try to stay away from mice because I want to reduce my chances of developing carpel tunnel syndrome.

3. adn rcd dly, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

I never even thought of the Wacom tablet, nor have I ever used one. I've always looked at them longingly but "wrote" them off as something for people that can draw and have good handwriting. I may have to look into that.

*Side note*

Did you edit Looking for Lenny? I watched it and really liked it! Being a younger chap my only knowledge of Lenny Bruce was in an REM song. Interesting to see the impact he had on so many comedians and speech in general :D

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. LethalWolfe, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I can't draw anything to save my life but I do generally find the Wacom to be better than a mouse as an input device. It does take some getting used to though.

I did edit Looking for Lenny. Thank you for watching it and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) Out of curiosity what service did you watch it with (iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, etc.,)?

EDIT:
    Forgot to add, I also suggest using a full size keyboard (one with a number pad on the right hand side) as using the number pad to key in TC allows you to zip around the timeline and individual clips faster.

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I agree with Lethal when he recommends a full size keyboard. I honestly don't use the mouse much at all; keyboard shortcuts are just SO much faster once you get used to them (although I don't know about FCPX).

I do use a Wacom tablet when I'm onlining in Smoke, though.

7. adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

Definitely a fullsize keyboard. I'm using wireless now and he lack of number pad is weird.

And I watched it on Netflix. Again, so good! Congratulations on that. My goal is to get back into editing and doing my own films. Any advice in general for a career?

8. nep61 macrumors 6502

I edit on Avid MC with my trusty Kensington Track Ball.
    My hand easily rests on the console, No cramped hand, no pushing a mouse around the table, and then having to lift my hand to continue dragging something to my second screen. Been using a trackball for the last 20 years.

9. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

I use an original apple mouse w/the center track ball :)

10. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I've always found the Apple mice cheap for any serious long term use. Though I did like the trackball on the mighty mouse for navigation.

I'm still plugging away with the Intuos 3, which I believe was the last one to come with the Wacom mouse. I use both the pen and the mouse equally.

The Apple trackpad is a decent supplemental device, but I wouldn't use it as the primary interface.

And I agree with everyone who mentioned the full keyboard. The number pad is a necessity.

11. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Over the years I've used wacom tablets, mice, based on recommendations here, and trackpads. Once I started using a laptop for field editing and discovered trackpad gestures, I will never go back. Ive stopped using anything else but a keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts work well. I've replaced all my desktop mice with magic pads.

Trackpad scrolling, swiping, resizing, moving full screen windows... selecting .. workflows are so much more quick and efficient than mice or tablets. When I first started using a laptop, however, it took awhile to get accustom to the trackpad... maybe a week..

A several button mouse is better than a trackpad if you can't or won't use gestures.

12. Chad3eleven, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

Chad3eleven macrumors regular

I've edited for over 17 years (starting with tape to tape) then moving on through Avid, premiere, FCP, etc and using a keyboard and mouse just fine.

As I progressed and began using AE more.. and deveoping some wrist issues I switched to a Wacom tablet and never looked back!

Once you get used to it, its amazing. I have the Intous 4 Medium.

It has a jog wheel on the tablet, so it has controls like a pro keyboard (jog/shuttle) not as tactile as a knob, but it works.

The 8 buttons feature LEDs that you can personalize, (labeling what the button does) and I've set it up to switch when I change applications (Premiere, P shop , AE, Nuke, PFTrack and Mocha mainly) so it greatly increased efficiency.

Added bonus is I work on finishing for commercial work, and collaborate with other artists.. so I can quickly mark up a shot (in P. Shop) and pass on notes (removes, cleanplating, etc) much faster than using a mouse (as its natural to draw with a pen, as opposed to a mouse)

But if you are hell bent on a mouse, at home I use a logitch g500 gaming mouse (yes for games) but I have mapped the extra buttons to Premiere settings.. but I miss my tablet too much.. editing with a mouse is weird to me (even after editing for 10+ years with it)

As for platforms.. my new job uses Premiere, and I dig it. I have pretty good knowledge of AE so the linking feature is great. The recent update finally brought some great features (improved XML exporting, media management tweaks)

Prior to this I was editing on FCP 7 for a few years, and before that Avid MC... all have their shortcomings, but if you want a platform similar to Avid, but want better performance I would say check out Premiere.. I mainly cut/finish with pro res 4444 1080p, which is just fine.. but it supports raw red as well.. which can make my conform/onlining job easier (I can export the needed clips in Raw Red and toss em over to the VFX department quickly)

13. adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

Thanks to you awesome folks for the input.

I have seen the Logitech mentioned quite a bit and I think I've come to a conclusion.

As with editing software, I'm gonna have to try some options out and see what feels best. I have some friends with the Logitech and my brother has a Magic mouse so I can try before I buy with them. Not sure how to go about trying a Wacom or other tablet solution, but maybe that's just a future solution.

Thanks again all. I am beyond excited doing this stuff again. I'm sure I will be in Digital Video a lot more now.

All the best :D:cool::)

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Find like minded people in your community (or even online as long distance collaborating isn't too hard these days) to work on projects nights/weekends and try to get a job (even an entry level job) at a production facility in your area.

15. adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

Hello all,

Just wanted to update on what I went with.

I got the wired apple keyboard and I did get a magic mouse. This was after some trial and overall comfort. I again appreciate all insights offered. You are some truly great people and I thank you for taking your time to speak with me.

Cheers!

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I used the Magic Mouse for awhile, but it started lagging for some unknown reason so I switched to the Magic Trackpad. I like it, it is pretty efficient for FCP X.

17. Unami macrumors 6502a

i like having a mouse with a "clicky" scroll wheel. so, if i use it to zoom in in AE for example, i can quickly zoom out the same amount of clicks.

18. kohlson macrumors 6502a

You may want to look at BetterTouchTool. This allowed me to fine tune some settings on my Magic Mouse, which helped make the mouse more usable for me.