mouse grabbed an item and won't let go :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dashphire, Jul 31, 2010.

1. dashphire macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just purchased my first mac yesterday, the mac mini and I'm loving it so far.

So this is what happened, while I was playing a song on my itunes, I somehow clicked on a song and grabbed it as if I was going to move the file somewhere else. The only problem is that the curser won't let go of the file, it just stayed and followed the curser where ever I pointed. This consequently stopped the normal function of my magic mouse, I couldn't click on anything else but I can move it around. This also led itunes to stop responding, I couldn't close the program or change the song or even turn the volume up or down by using both the keyboard or controls on itunes itself. I ultimately had to press and hold the power button of my new mac mini to restart everything -- hoping that it doesn't screw anything up.

So just for my future reference, if this happens again, does any one know what I should do? what exactly happened anyways? I think it's more of a mac feature than an issue but I'm just a newbie so I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks
    :)

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Did you try pressing escape? Did you try turning off the Magic Mouse?

3. dashphire thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I tried pressing escape and no I didn't try turning the mouse off then on.

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Try doing that next time.

5. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

I am not a newbie but i am getting tired of my macbook doing what you desrcibe. I can't go to another window and the curser stays with the window i was in or it thinks it has to highlight the whole page. It is getting old...

6. jsscribe macrumors newbie

Same problem on Mac mini

Patient clicking, hitting return, or escape eventually clears the "sticky click" but only restarting stops the behavior. But then it randomly returns.

7. Greatchiller macrumors newbie

Help!

I am also having this problem, but mine seems to be even more serious. It happens every time I "grab" a file, but unlike what the other posts have said, mine never lets go. I've tried escape, clicking, pressing enter, everything. It never lets go of the file, and it wont let me do anything with the mouse- so I have to use keyboard shortcuts to save my work, then restart the computer. Very time consuming and frustrating. Any solutions?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Could very well be a bad mouse. If you have another one to test with, definitely do. If not, try taking it into the Apple Store and get them to test it, and swap if necessary.

jW

9. auntiegramma macrumors newbie

Fixing a Mouse or Trackpad that won't let go

I've been having this problem with my MacBookPro. (i.e., clicking on anything, the mouse/trackpad won't let go - for example, click & drag and drop a doc into a folder - the drop part never happens, and you're carrying around the icon until you Force Relaunch the Finder [command-option-escape].)

A temporary fix is to close the laptop lid just long enough to put it to sleep (1-2 secs, usually). This is annoying, but worked.

However, today I discovered this fix, taken from apple discussions, and so far I the issue went away:
    System Preference > Universal Access > Trackpad
    More Options > uncheck Dragging

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19572754#19572754