Mouse hunting!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lampdeskchair, Nov 11, 2007.

1. lampdeskchair macrumors member

Looking for a mouse for my Blackbook 2.16ghz. I'm looking for something good to use on the go, yet will work nicely in desktop mode (along with a bluetooth apple keyboard I'm definitely getting) as well. Bluetooth is preferred, as the idea of a bulky receiver eating up a USB port kinda sucks.

Obviously the first mouse I looked at is the Mighty Mouse. While the features and nipple ball look amazing. (I could imagine how great it is for photoshop and such.) I keep hearing horrible things about it. Aside from the little quirks like the weird right clicking and crappy ergonomics that I could deal with. I'm hearing the scroll balls get gunked up and end up not working pretty fast. I read that cleaning them with alcohol or inverting them and rubbing them on a cloth fixes it temporarily..But, I don't wanna be cleaning this thing 2-3 times a day..Is it really that horrible of a mouse?

The Logitech VX Nano is RF and uses a tiny receiver that barely sticks out, so I could prolly deal with it. Still, it eats up a USB port and that kinda sucks. But it looks like a good quality mouse. Should I get it? Or do you know of a good bluetooth mouse, or a better wireless mouse? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sooo confused. @_@

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have the VX Revolution and love it. That VX Nano does look cool, and the USB adapter is awesome.

But if you want Bluetooth, all the big guys have selections. Just look them up - Logitech, Microsoft, even Razer.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have the wireless MM. It took me awhile to get used to it, but I like it.

4. lampdeskchair thread starter macrumors member

Have you had any issues with the scroll wheel? I've been hearing the thing just stops working once enough gunk inevitably builds up under the wheel.

I searched some more on different sites and actually did find some more. Problem is, every bluetooth mouse I find is really basic or cheap looking. The VX Nano seems much better in quality. I guess since most people use bluetooth for Notebooks, they figure simplicity is more important. Bah.

Hmmm, anyone here have any personal recommendations?

5. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Second the VX revolution. I understand you concern about the USB receiver but the VX receiver is smaller than most thumbdrives and stores inside the mouse.

6. chunkstyle macrumors newbie

I use the Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse, and have been very happy with it. It's small and compact, yet full featured (two buttons and scroll wheel) and responsive enough for all my mobile mouse needs. It also has an on/off switch underneath to maximize battery life (it takes 2 AAs, IIRC).

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I used to own a MM (two, actually, the wired and the wireless), and they both eventually develop the sticking scrollball syndrome. Annoyed me to no end, leading me to sell it and get a mouse with a proper darned wheel.

This mouse from Microsoft seems to fit your bill. Sorry, no personal experience though.

8. lampdeskchair thread starter macrumors member

Figured, yeah I think I'm just gonna skip the MM. While it's a cool looking mouse, scrollball sticking kills it. Hopefully they'll modify the MM soon. Personally I think they should replace the ball with something like a grey mouse nub you see on thinkpads. I'd definitely snap one up if they did.
    Ooh! Looks to be much nicer then the other bluetooth mouses I've seen. Think I'm gonna get either that or the VX Nano. I like the Nano design a bit more, and I am more of a fan of logitech mouse/keyboards. But this does have bluetooth so I'll probably get it. Thanks!

9. hsadear macrumors member

hsadear

im not sure how portable you want it but im looking at this mouse.

the ability to use it as you recharge it is a great feature but im not to sure of the brand...

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I have the wired MM, and honestly have it for cohesive aesthetic reasons. If you're looking for an incredibly functional mouse, this isn't it, though the scrollball is lovely. However, I wish the right click was just an actual button.