Mouse is driving me mad - scrolling issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MoodyM, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Ok, this is driving me to distraction. In any OS X app, if I have a list of things (for example, a load of photos in iPhoto) and I want to select multiple items by holding in Cmd and clicking them, it seems that when I move mouse that the list kinda "jumps" up or down (or scrolls a little bit). The problem is when I then click, I end up clicking the photo above or below the one I intended too, since the list of photos has scrolled up or down a little bit

It happens in every app that has a vertical list.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you are in List view, you can test this out yourself, if you click to the right of a file in empty space and hold then move the mouse up or down, it will start selecting multiple items in the list.

If, however, you click on the files name directly, and do the same, you will pick up that file and begin to move it.

I'm not sure if I explained that easily enough, but basically: click+hold in empty space next to a file in list view will allow you do select multiple files with a single mouse click.

Clicking on the files name will just grab that single file and start to move it around.

Ediiiit: well, I read your post wrong, as I was thinking just the Finder, not iPhoto as well. When you click and drag a selection, either while holding down cmd or not, if the mouse gets to the top or bottom (or close enough) it will start scrolling in that window. Or, if you are cmd clicking something out of full view, as in just hanging out the top or the bottom, that may be causing your scroll "problem".

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

The things I'm clicking are not out of view, they can be anywhere. It's almost as if the computer senses I moved the mouse upwards, so it scrolls one row up, etc. I want to turn off this behaviour.