Mouse is more precise on Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello. I have a Win 7 partition via BootCamp. Why is my mouse so better with W7 than OS X? Thanks a lot.

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

Adjust the mouse settings. Should be able to feel the exact same if it's set how you want.

I don't know though. I quit using a mouse years ago(other than iMac) when I bought my first mac, much easier with the trackpad.

3. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I wish I could say the same. but i find that even though the trackpad is so much funner to use with the multitouch gestures, there isnt a lot of real work you can do with it. photo editing on lightroom sucks with a trackpad, so is music editing on logic. Movie editing is harder when you try to cut something precisely, and using a trackpad to do work on Excel, is just a lot tougher.
    the trackpad is just better when consuming content, ie browsing websites..

4. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I set it at the same way but still more precise on windows.

5. jmdMac macrumors regular

I will assume you are right when it comes to photo/music/video editing as I have not done so myself. However I completely disagree with excel statement. I used excel on a daily basis throughout my college career, and now on a daily basis at work(upwards of 3-4 hours per day). I find that I am more productive when using the trackpad as I can also use gestures and have both hands near on the keyboard at all times.

As I do not know the OP's uses I will assume it is either gaming or one of those you listed for the need of a mouse. Although if you were a photo/video/picture editor why would you be using a windows program for that with a mac? :confused:

6. printz macrumors regular

Cursor movement uses acceleration on OSX, but on Windows the movement is closer to constant. Whether one is better than the other depends on application. For editing and selecting text the Windows mouse wins. For action games and presumably precision movements (painting), OSX's slower initial speed may give more control.

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

It's not more precise, but the mouse accelleration is different.

Windows uses a linear accelleration, while OSX has a curved accelleration.

Try the tool "SmoothMouse". I use it when gaming in OSX.

It simulates the Windows mouse accelleration. Choose "Like in Windows" in the dropdown, and you will notice immediately that the accelleration is almost 1:1 to Windows :)

8. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue on my Macbook Air. My Naga feels so precise on the Windows partition, and a laggy mess on the OSX side.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

All the gamers complain that the mouse in OSX is laggy and inaccurate.
    My G500 is the same. It is also that OSX by default expects really low mouse speeds. My G500 at 4000 dpi is about as fast moving as in Windows with 1400dpi. It also lags in OSX. I think there is a bit of low level stuff that just doesn't cut it in OSX. Doesn't matter if you only need a slow pointer that needs to reposition multiple times to get across the screen.

Windows by default also uses mouse acceleration but you can disable it.

I also heard that if you have a gaming mouse don't use any other polling rate than 125hz as OSX doesn't play well with anything higher.

10. TranceMessiah macrumors newbie

I've noticed that and was looking for a solution for some time. Thanks for sharing the app!

11. Jodles macrumors regular

Thanks so much for sharing the app! I can never use a mouse on OS X because I just can't get used to the acceleration curve. It's more of a acceleration shelf to be honest - I always stop short of where I want to click, incredibly annoying..!

12. fisha macrumors regular

Iirc correctly, at its core, OS X also buffers mouse movements to the display differently from windows ... Net result being that compared to windows, it's slight slower ... By basically a frame refresh.

13. mykem macrumors regular

Funner :)

Multitouch works great especially you're able to adapt to motion/click/swipe/fingering (yes, fingering when you have to use one, two, three of four finger to trigger different command). 

Photoshop, for example, requires a different set of trigger and motion that works better with a mouse and even better still if you're using touchscreen tablet with pen/stylus support (Wacom). But personally, I have no problem using Trackpad/keyboard combo with Illustrator or DAW like Reason.

For general operation of OS X, you might even want to ditch both mouse and trackpad altogether and use apps like Alfred 2.0 and automate most of your actions which will save tons of clicking.