Mouse issue with macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldmanmax, Feb 21, 2014.

1. oldmanmax macrumors member

I have a issue with the mouse (wireless) working with my macbook pro, if it is hooked up to the external keyboard, or the macbook pro while the system is being charged, the mouse will work. But taking it to the library and wireless unit is hooked to the macbook it will not work? Batteries in the wireless mouse are brand new, and MBP is fully charged. Yes I can use the track pad, but I do not understand why the mouse will not work wirelessly unless the system is hooked up electricaly and not running on battery power. Any ideas?

2. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

Is it an Apple Magic Mouse? Or a different type? How does it connect to the MacBook; I'm assuming it connects via Bluetooth?

3. oldmanmax thread starter macrumors member

It is a microsoft mouse-wireless. It will work when wireless device is attached to external apple usb keyboard, I am using the 13" macbook pro hooked to a 25" HP monitor. It is not bluetooth. When the usb device is attached to the MBP, it will not work.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm so confused, it is wireless, but you plug it in? Are you using a USB dongle?

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yes he is using a dongle (only Microsoft would come up with a USB wireless mouse), I'm not sure its a fault, I can charge via the USB port on my MBA when on charger but it cuts the power when on battery while it is closed....

Personally I'd just have a bluetooth mouse, Magic Mouse works great!

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Logitech makes USB dongles for mice and keyboards too, it's not that bad of a system. If this is the case, I'm thinking the OP's USB ports aren't giving enough power to the dongle.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

:)

He refers to using an external monitor, if the lid is closed my MBA doesn't provide USB charging power when shut, it maybe that he is just seeing this effect, and it maybe (I don't use clamshell mode and never have), that it is normal or not....?

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If it's a newer MBP, it's charging, dongle is plugged in while while the computer is running with the lid is open it should work when you close the lid. ;)

The OP mentions it not working at the library, but I can't see them bringing an external monitor to the library. I am totally lost! ;)

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Oh yes, now I'm lost too :confused: