mouse jumping to primary button in a dialogue box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dodonutter, Sep 19, 2007.

1. dodonutter macrumors regular

Well i have searched around for anyone answering this question before and haven't found anything so here we go.

Ever since one of the 10.4 updates (i think it was 10.4.9 or 10.4.10) every time a window has opened with a primary choice button (ie a blue highlighted choice) my mouse has jumped to it so i can click it without having to move the mouse.

This is all very well if i want to click that button but it is a pain in the @ss if i am using the mouse somewhere else and an unexpected dialogue box pops up because at the very least my mouse jumps somewhere else on the screen which is annoying and a little disconcerting, but at worse this happens just before i'm about to click another button so i end up clicking yes to something that i didn't read and therefore have no idea what it said.

I just managed to accidentally shut my computer down this way and that was the last straw so i really wana know how to stop it!

This is on my 1.5GHz powerbook yet on the G5 iMac or my sisters macbook with exactly the same OS version this doesn't happen so i'm hoping there is a setting somewhere that you can turn this off.....that or my PB has a sense of humor i am not getting

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I can't be sure and can't replicate what you're experiencing, but have you accidently enabled Voice Over (Command-F5)? It has so many strange options that could cause this, otherwise I'd suspect a third party utility playing tricks.

3. dodonutter thread starter macrumors regular

well voice over wasn't on but i realised my speakers were about as loud as they can get when i turned it on!

Time for me to be embarrassed....after you suggested third-party apps i looked at the settings for all of them...turns out sidetrack has a check box entitled "Automatically move pointer to default button of dialogues" so my several months of frustration were caused by me not looking at the 3rd party app settings just the std apple ones. oh well you live you learn.

I'm going to go sit in the corner now....

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Glad you sorted it mate.

I also use Sidetrack and didn't think to look there so I'll join you in the corner ;)