Mouse/Keyboard guy.....getting used to a controller!??

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Joeytpg, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

...how hard is this?

I love FPS, but I've been a PC player mostly (mouse/keyboard) and I played a bit of Halo in a PS3 and MAN THAT WAS HARD! :( is it too hard to get used to playing FPS with a controller?

I wanna get COD4 for my new ps3 but I'm afraid I won't like it and never play it

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Halo for PS3?? Has hell really froze over?!?!

If you are used to KB/MS then grab UT3 for the PS3 and use a KB/MS combo. There is really no substitute for it, learning FPS with a controller takes time however if you have the time to master it it can be rewarding. I'll hope you are drunk or impaired somehow thinking you are playing Halo on a Sony branded console.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I ping ponged around FPS games when I was a kid. Even in games like HL I'd still use keyboard only, even back on the console front with Timesplitters 2 on the Cube I had the controls set up to mimic Goldeneye. I think I got pretty savvy with the Xbox controller for Halo but yea. Once I got a taste mouse/keyboard gaming I'm finding it very hard to go back. I don't play console FPS games anymore, nowhere near enough speed, precision, the amount of buttons you can press at once. Yea.

Like anything it'll probably just take lots of practice. Only beef is I'd rather be playing a game properly so I'll just take the PC option.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I on the other hand don't like the mouse/keyboard controls as much. The KB/M set is the most precise at FPS and RTS but other than that I'll stick to the controller. I've gotten use to the controller for FPS/Action adventure so its not that hard now and I really don't play point & click adventures.

Umm Halo is xbox 360 dude....don't let the halo boys hear you mentioning it wih a Sony brand console:)

Bless

5. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

hehe no, I played Halo in a 360 :p

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Ahhhh, a question about this topic. Everyone knows MY OPINION. :p

I don't know how long you've been a PC gamer, but if you recall the early FPSs that were keyboard only, a console controler is slightly better than that. :) Ok, it's much better, but still complete blah when compared to a keyboard and mouse.

Developers generally put the AI in tard mode and add auto-aim when producing FPSs for console, this way the guy aiming so sluggishly with their thumb can feel good about themselves and not get frustrated. If you're used to the really good PC FPSs, you'll see that most console shooters are on Prozac at a petting zoo.

What really sucks, is that most PC games now days, are ported from consoles. These games are always really bad on the PC and not worth buying.

The only exception to this is the Wii and its controller. It's about as good as a 200 DPI mouse, IF, your sensor bar setup is in a good relation to your TV. There are a few factors which can make it difficult to use like distance and TV size, but coming from a mouse and keyboard, I found it second nature. The Wiimote also has a stick attachment for movement, which can be better than a keyboard when a game doesn't require loads of options.

Anyways... :)

<]=)