Mouse & Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mwp98223, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

I'm switching from PC to iMac shortly and trying to determine what to buy or not. I'm going to get a 20" iMac.

I'm used to a multibuttom mouse with a scroll wheel and think I want to stay with that. I want a wireless mouse and keyboard using iMac's bluetooth. What do I need to be shopping for? Are the specific Apple keyboard issues I need to be aware of as far as special keys or mapping?

Can I just shop for bluetooth keyboard/mouse that is in the price and syle that I like?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Any BT keyboard and mouse will work with your iMac. One thing that will be different is that your command key (the apple key) will be switched with the option(ALT) key. Basically you'll be pushing the "Windows" key to get the mac to recognize the key as the apple key.

3. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I would just use the stuff that comes with it for a bit, and then later change things if you still don't like them.

-T

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Agreed. :)
    Use the Apple keyboard.
    Mouse - swap out if you want.

I recommend Logitech products over anyone else though; every Microsoft mouse I've ever owned has had annoying 'quirks' like a straying/spazzing out mouse cursor or a glitchy scroll wheel that scrolls windows on its own.

I don't like Apple's mice at all but I don't have any problems with the Mac keyboard.

5. tngisaga macrumors member

the bluetooth mighty mouse is really good. i use one everyday. you should try it out if you haven't already done so.

6. justG macrumors member

justG

These things are extremely subjective, and tngisaga is right: you really ought to try it for yourself. Personally, I think the Mighty Mouse is rubbish, the worst mouse I've ever used. My BT MM was returned to its box immediately.

I'll second zero2dash's recommendation of Logitech peripherals. I prefer Microsoft's keyboards (USB/wired/ergonomic, dunno about the rest), but I think Logitech makes the best mice.

7. mwp98223 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is the mouse that has me most concerned. I am very used to multiple keys and the scroll and the single click mouse is just to foreign. The keyboard is probably fine. The issue is spending the money (granted not a lot relatively speaking) on the bluetooth keyboard and mouse and then buying ANOTHER bluetooth mouse. Maybe it isn't that big of a deal.

8. skwij macrumors 6502

Why not just use the mouse you're using now? It will probably work fine.

That said, I use an ancient Logitech 4-button marble mouse. Works great on the Macs here.

9. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

But the Apple Mighty mouse has all those features. It has a left-click button, a right click button, a scroll bar in between the two, and two buttons on the side for activating pretty much whatever you want.

The Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse also come in Bluetooth versions, as well. The only difference is the batteries (of course), and the Bluetooth Keyboard doesn't have any USB ports.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I use the Apple Wireless BT Keyboard and Mighty Mouse and they are both great. The scroll ball can also be programmed as a button. It defaults to activating dashboard.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

while i agree with those who say the Mighty Mouse is terrible, you should give it a go because the reviews are very mixed.

i use a Logitech mouse with a dongle because i've yet to find a Bluetooth mouse i like and/or that works properly.

12. mwp98223 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone. I didn't realize the "Mighty Mouse" had so many features (I apparently used an older model Mac Mouse). I will definitely give the Mac accessories a try when I purchase.

13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Yeah, Apple was notorious for their single button mice until the Mighty Mouse in 2005. I'm a purist, and it's hard for me to NOT use a single button mouse. :)

14. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

It doesn't take long to get used to the mm. Now i prefer that to the other keyboards and mice. It feels better in the hand.

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'll echo the others who say to try Apple's BT mouse and keyboard first. I think it costs $60 extra to get them in Bluetooth. If you don't like them, you could probably sell them both for more than the $60 you paid for them.

I use the BT Mighty Mouse and love it. But I use Das Keyboard (which isn't BT). Never tried an Apple keyboard, actually.