Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puffmarvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
NY
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out...

I have a new 17" iMac with 512 MB RAM and sometimes when I am moving my mouse it just sticks in one spot and doesnt move for several seconds. its almost like the entire system freezes and then unfreezes. someone told me today that it happens to them as well and they have the same system. any ideas?? anyone have that same problem?! ugh. :confused:

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
RAM

How much RAM do you have... Actions like Mouse movents take a lot of RAM.. I know.. you would think that if you get a brand new computer... you shouldnt have that kind of problem. Do you have a lot of apps running when this happens? I Rarly have that happen and its only when I doing lots of things at once like file compression and exprting Video.

I have a 867G4 QuickSilver with 1.2GB RAM

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Re: RAM

Originally posted by evildead
How much RAM do you have... Actions like Mouse movents take a lot of RAM.. .

"I have a new 17" iMac with 512 MB RAM..."

I didn't want to make you look stoopid, but... :D

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Well, I have a CPU usage measuring thingy in my menubar, and when I'm not doing anything its at less than 3%, but when I start moving teh mouse, it suddenly goes up to 8%, and when I start moving it REALLY fast all over, it goes all the way up to 52% :eek: :eek:

I have a 800MHz, 15" iMac with 512 MB RAM.

irmongoose

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
funny... I'm sitting here at work on a crappy IBM P4 1.6Ghz and moving my mouse like crazy only increases the CPU usage from 2% to 4% in Win2k.:confused:

puffmarvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
NY
512 MB of RAM

haha yah i have 512 MB of RAM. the other person having the same problem has 1 GB of RAM. i searched through kbase and couldnt find anything in there!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: Re: RAM

Originally posted by topicolo

"I have a new 17" iMac with 512 MB RAM..."

I didn't want to make you look stoopid, but... :D

... you know you could have gotten more RAM with it ... thats why I asked. Apples RAM is expensive and at least in the past few Models they really dont include enuph RAM... espechaly for OS X

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
WTF?? Mouse movement taking up a lot of RAM?? That's a load of sh*t if I ever saw it. It does take up CPU, especially if you move it quickly, but it takes up essentially no RAM whatsoever. A better question than "how much RAM" would be "what kind of mouse". I know, for example, that wireless mice have a tendency to do things like that.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Anyhow, to answer the question...
chec the energy saver settings, that amy have something to do with it, if not, report it to apple!!

puffmarvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
NY
what about energy saver? what should i be looking for? i have the disk and computer never going to sleep. only the display goes to sleep after 5 minutes. :confused:

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
CPU until the Dock

It uses both ... look into it

I have. It uses only CPU unless I move it violently, at which point it takes up less than 100k of memory, and that assumes that nothing else was taking it up. It does take up RAM, and quite a bit, when you move the mouse over the Dock, but even with my paltry 192MB, I've never had the cursor freeze even with size at minimum and magnification at max.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
First of all, moving the mouse does not require a significant amount of ram, especially if puffmarvin's machine has 512 megs, although moving it over the dock with magnification may use CPU if u look in CPU moniter. My 17" iMac has only the standard 256 MB, and ihaven't experienced any problems while moving the mouse. In fact, just for kicks i opened up a bunch of apps, and at one point had 97 processes running. My iMac slowed a little, but did not crash. so i cant imagine that the slight lag in moving the mouse is caused because he doesn't have a gig of ram. I'm not exactly sure what the cause of this is though. I would call apple.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
RE: GeeYouEye

You seem to be pretty upset about this RAM thing.... thats ok with me.

as you said... it does use RAM when moved violently.

I reason why I said that it does use RAM is that I read an artical about how XP has some new features that are Mac-like that optimize mouse movment. That makes is use less RAM... the way that Macs have for years.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: RE: GeeYouEye

You seem to be pretty upset about this RAM thing.... thats ok with me.

as you said... it does use RAM when moved violently.

I reason why I said that it does use RAM is that I read an artical about how XP has some new features that are Mac-like that optimize mouse movment. That makes is use less RAM... the way that Macs have for years.

Ugh. I'm sorry if I seem upset about it.. I'm sick today and feel like complete sh*t. Sorry if I came off looking like an jerk about this. OTOH, why on Earth am I even online today when I feel like this?

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
PEOPLE! HELP THIS PERSON WITH THEIR PROBLEM FOR GOD'S SAKES! Stop arguing about useless RAM bull****! Christ, how about instead of yelling at each other you use your knowledge, and come up with a good idea! God damnit, I know that if I had posted this thread I would be thouroughly pissed that I wouldn't be able ot get an answer from it! All I can say is report it to Apple, and at worst, call them up and explain, that's all I can think of, perhaps the others will be able to help?? ::HINT HINT::

puffmarvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
NY
thank you shadowfax0... i just said to a friend "look what i started" with this thread! hahah who wouldve thunk it =) anyways, i cant come up with anything myself and im pretty mac savvy. could it just be a problem with the apple optical mouse? ive already consulted with apple and they dont know of any issues. hmmmm....
:rolleyes:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I seem to have a problem with the mouse software with Jaguar.1 Sometimes when I wake the computer from sleep, the mouse and keyboard are frozen. Other times, it's like the speed has been increased, and when I went to the mouse system preference pane, the computer froze...

It seems to be a 10.2.1 problem.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Try replacing the mouse temporarily. You might have a defective mouse. That, and try a different keyboard, as the USB bus may be the problem. In neither of those solutions work, take your computer in for repairs. While the appearance of the cursor is software-based in OS X, the cursor itself is hardware based.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
I saw this happen in the store

I have an iMac flat-panel, 800Mhz, 512 MB ram.

The only time I have seen this and can repeat it, even on the new Dual processor machines, is when the background image is set to change at timed intervals and the background in the process of changing.

It takes up alot of resources/cpu when it transitions the images.

Also you might want to look to see if you have any other programs that run in the background and do timed processing (like the background image thingy). Alot of "extra" apps that are supposed to make the OS easier to work with, tend to take up alot of resources and could cause problems like this.

As far as the RAM issue, I highly recommend completely ignoring the RAM comments. It is completely NOT related to your problem.

Also, just because something may take up alot of the CPU processing, doesn't mean that it is using up alot of RAM.

Hope this helped a little,
Quark

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Try dragging the usb cable that comes out of the mouse, if the cursor freezes then it's just a lose connection.
Pretty common problem with the apple pro mouses.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Put the mouse on its own usb port do not have it on the keyb. I remember the rev.A iMac and the Puck mouse doing the same thing it was a Keyb. problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.