mouse-less iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brevi9, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Brevi9 macrumors newbie

Brevi9

having issues setting up Magic Mouse 2 to my Mac. Not updated the system in over a year. I assume that is why it isn't being recognised when I plug the mouse usb in to the back. I don't have a functioning mouse and need to update the software. I can get to the software update page (see attached image) but I can't select check now. I can't move the cursor from the search bar. Any ideas how to do it? Thank you...

Attached Files:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's probably because you're running Snow Leopard and the Magic Mouse 2 requires El Capitan. The original Magic Mouse works fine back to Leopard.

If you just want to check for updates, you can use Control-Shift-F2 or Function-Control-Shift-F2 to select the Apple menu and run Software Update from there. There haven't been many updates issued for Snow Leopard in the last year though, as Apple has dropped support for it.

3. Brevi9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brevi9

--- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    Thank you. Because I no longer have a functioning mouse I can't select to run software update. Will the shortcuts your have just mentioned run the update? I can use the keyboard to get to software updates but can't tab or select check updates.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    image.jpeg

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The shortcut I mentioned will highlight the Apple menu. After it is highlighted, press the spacebar or Return, use the arrow keys to navigate to "Software Update" and press it again. That will launch the Software Update app, which checks for updates automatically when opened.

5. chscag macrumors 68000

Just purchase an inexpensive USB mouse and attach it to your Mac and then do the updates. My local "Big Lots" store sells USB rodents for $5.00! o_O

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree. ALWAYS a nice plan to have a spare wired mouse in a box or drawer somewhere, just in case...
    And, any USB mouse will work for you to move the cursor, and click where you need to click. Doesn't need to be an Apple-brand mouse. A "yard sale special" will do the trick.
    And, as someone already suggested, if you have Snow Leopard, a Magic Mouse 2 is likely not supported, and may not work at all.

(Note that the Magic Mouse 2 tech specs show a requirement for El Capitan, as a minimum, and Snow Leopard would be WAY out of that range)