Mouse like Naga Epic?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tony5787, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Tony5787 macrumors member

So I received a Razer Naga Epic in the mail two days ago and while it is probably the most amazing mouse I've ever used ergonomically and functionally, the software that Razer provides is absolute garbage and doesn't have support for 10.8 yet. I'm trying to find a mouse now that offers a large amount of programmable buttons but works natively in Mountain Lion. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm using the mouse for Photoshop mostly to keep things like drop shadow and other layer styles or lengthy keyboard shortcuts within the touch of a single button. This works with the Naga Epic but as soon as I close my laptop to put it to sleep Synapse (Razer's software) becomes unresponsive and I have to reboot. The mouse I'm looking for must be wireless and, like I said before, must include a decent amount of buttons that I can assign macros to.

2. Tony5787 thread starter macrumors member

Just FYI I picked up a Logitech G700 tonight and I really like it so far. Logitech doesn't officially support it for OSX but it works fine straight out of the box and you can assign macros to it with USB Overdrive. Just in case anyone was wondering. Ergonomics-wise, I wish it was closer to the Naga Epic with the palm grip but I wasn't about to restart my computer every time I woke it from sleep because a mouse felt good. The G700 is more of a claw grip mouse but I'm beginning to see how it should fit in my hand. I still like the feel of my G5 or the Naga Epic more though. Just thought I'd share that with everyone in case you were pondering a G700.

3. mslide macrumors 6502a

I also have a G700 and like it. Just in case you ever find the OSX tools lacking for programming that mouse, it can be programmed in Windows as well. The configuration can be stored in the mouse so it will remain active when plugged back into your Mac. That's how I used to program my G700 when I was using it with my Mac.

I also have the G600 (the buttons on my G700 started wearing out). It's more like the Naga but isn't wireless. Programming it is the same deal. I do it in Windows whenever I need to.

4. Tony5787 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I saw the G600 but I really wanted something wireless. That's really the main reason I bought a new mouse otherwise I would have just continued to use my G5 that's been chugging along for the past five years I think. It's a shame that Razer's software is such garbage because hardware-wise the Naga Epic was absolutely perfect.