Mouse Movement in OS X vs. Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mxsix, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Mxsix macrumors member

Mxsix

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. The feel of the mouse movement in OS X is way different than in Windows XP. In OS X it feels sluggish. Most of the time it feels like there are different speed "multipliers" that constantly change the speed of the mouse movement depending on how fast you move your hand. Windows seems to be constant. Is there a way to make the cursor move like Windows XP does? Does anyone know what I'm trying to explain?

Thanks for the help!

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Yes there is ;)

The acceleration curve is different on OS X. I admittedly, prefer the Windows curve, and I found the software to set it.

Steermouse is your new best friend. http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

I set mine at 3.0 and 1.13 from memory.

Particularly as a gamer, I know exactly what you mean.

3. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

I never do stuff like that - what happens when you go use someone else's Mac?

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Yep, its painful ;) But I dont often use other Macs for very long, my Mac gets very very jealous and if I'm not careful, she threatens to kernel panic on my ass ;)

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. Used to game a lot before I got a Mac and mouse behaviour was something I was most disappointed with on OS X. I think it's a bit weird that you can't simply turn off acceleration in system preferences, as WildPalms already mentioned, you can fix that with SteerMouse.

Unfortunately, sluggish behaviour remains, must be bad mouse drivers or something, I'm not sure, but I know I can easily spot it in the middle of the night. The obvious solution is to boot to Windows for gaming, which is too bad, really. I love OS X otherwise.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, what happens when you go use someone else's Windows PC? If you used my Windows PC, you would certainly find acceleration turned on.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. Mxsix thread starter macrumors member

Mxsix

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yep, mousezoom is my favorite as well (I use 3.497190952301025 on my trackpad). Simply because all it is, is a preference pain that expands upon Apple's drivers (it's no hack driver). Also, I've used it for two years and had ZERO problems with it.

As far as that article, I think his conclusion is complete crap. Windows' mouse algorithm is simply better because when you move the mouse and stop it ends up exactly where you expect it to be even if you've never used a mouse before. With OS X's you have to get used to it. It's really the only think I like better in using Windows.

Thank you MouseZoom for saving me from learning OS X's mousing.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

I don't know, I switched from Windows about a year ago, and frankly really prefer the OS X method. When I am Windows, I am used to how I move the mouse in OS X, which is if I need it to go faster, i move my hand faster, if I want precision, I move my hand slower. In Windows, if I move my hand period, the cursor flies across the screen.

To each their own though I suppose.

11. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

This is my observation. When using a trackpad with OSX, the movements are smooth and natural. Using a trackpad with windows sucks! However the converse is true if you use a mouse. Somehow windows and mice go well together while in OSX it feels kinda awkward.

12. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

The acceration curve is different, but after getting use to it, I prefer the feel in Mac OS X vs. Windows. But it really doesn't matter, whatever you get use to.

13. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I don't feel a difference in cursor movement between the two :confused:

14. senc01a macrumors regular

I know exactly what you are talking about.
    its just the way they implemented the acceleration curve of the mouse movement. I've tried many programs like mouseaccel steermouse, etc etc but with none of them I get the same speed/accel that I'm used to get in windows.
    I guess that you'll just have to get used to it, at least thats what I've done.

If you have a microsoft mouse and you install the ms. software there you can modify the accel curve and almost get the same movement that you have in windows. Good luck!

15. TDIDawg macrumors newbie

Excellent

WildPalms,

Steermouse has saved the day. As a new Mac user coming from Windows, I was very disappointed by the sluggish or sticky feel regarding mouse pointer movement under OSX. This app has made life soooo much smoother when using the GUI now. By default, it also enabled the back action in Firefox for my side mouse button (Logitech G5) and right-clicking now brings up the context menu instantly, where there previously was a noticeable delay.

Thanks,

Joseph

16. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I was about to say this. I downloaded MouseZoom thinking 'Aha, I've been missing something.' and when I adjusted the sensitivity of the trackpad I was like 'OH MY GOD THIS IS SENSITIVE'.

Mice do handle differently, though. I'll have to try this on our iMac to see if it helps.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac OS X's method is better for precise movement. Macs are after all pretty much standard in the design and graphics industries.

Windows is awful if you ever try and draw anything with the mouse. The cursor just does its own thing half the time. Although I will say the Windows method is much better when it comes to cranking out the FPS games :).

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Is that like a threat to get a divorce? :p ;) :D

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, it's exactly where you expect it to be. Remember, there have been Mac users for over 20 years who would say the exact same thing about Windows, including myself. I hate Windows mousing - cursor flying all over the damn place.

21. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I can't live with OS X's mouse settings either and use USB overdrive to fix it. It's awesome, and I use my extra buttons on my logitech mice too.

22. jwt macrumors 6502

What's funny is that old school Windows' mouse acceleration sucked. There almost wasn't any acceleration. To do anything delicate was truly painful. The current Windows' mouse acceleration is akin to the Classic Mac OS acceleration, which is very intuitive. The Mac OS X implementation sucks. I also must use USB overdrive to set the mouse acceleration back to reality.

23. seanneko macrumors member

Me too - what actually is the difference between them?

I've been using Windows since 3.1, and the mouse movement feels exactly the same as OS X to me :confused:

24. Ariez macrumors regular

25. Ariez macrumors regular

its different. OSX dont have acceleration or something.