Mouse movement jerky under high CPU loads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

2.2GHz Macbook Pro, OS X 10.5. I've only noticed it for the last few months.

Whenever (usually) I do something which causes a high CPU load, my mouse cursor movement because extremely jerky. For some reason, even ejecting my USB hard drive (which takes about 20 seconds from when I tell it to eject to when it actually removes itself from my Desktop) causes my cursor to start going jerky.

2. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

Not sure if this will help, but try resetting the PRAM. It seems to work for me on my mac mini. One day the CPU usage just went tru the roof. My mac was real slow. When I reset the PRAM, it went back to normal.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok.

Have you adjusted the mouse tracking speed? Or are you not using a mouse? (Can't be sure, even though you used the term "mouse cursor". Since that's hybrid terminology, it might mean something to you that's different from my interpretation.)

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

To reset PRAM on any Mac, hold down Command+Option+P+R just after you hear the startup chime, and keep it held until it makes that "bong" noise two more times.

5. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks for the answers. I've reset my PRAM a few times lately, and I'm using a USB mouse. Also happens with the trackpad.