Mouse Musings

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Virgil-TB2, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Having had to throw yet another "Mighty Mouse" across the room when it stopped working last night, and go back to the old one button monster for a time, I started seriously considering the idea of getting a mouse from someone else besides Apple. My MacPro will arrive sometime this year and I am thinking of going for the wireless variety again as well.

It's well known, or at least the general opinion of most of the Mac-techs I have ever worked with, that the one thing Apple has never done well is mice. Despite Steve holding them up at the show and gushing about the style of them, ergonomically, Apple's mice are usually ***** and everyone knows it.

Now that all that 90's hysteria about carpal tunnel system has mostly evaporated however, no one seems to give a damn about ergonomics anymore. People seem just as happy grasping those tiny bluetooth "travel mice" between two fingers as they do dragging some of Logitech's weightier cousins around their desktop. Mostly, it seems that if they click and the cursor doesn't skitter too much, then "who cares?"

The point of this thread is that *I* care, and of course there must be others out there that also care. I have for instance a very large hand with longer very nimble fingers. I like to be comfortable and very few mice have ever been that way for me. I have friends who have different shaped than "normal" hands also who share my feelings. some people have pudgy fingers, some people have tiny "baby-hands."

I guess what I am saying or asking here is ... where does one go nowadays to get anything other than a "standard" mouse? Where are the options? I don't see any at all. After searching the web all morning it seems that 95% or better of all the mice are basically of this design:

[​IMG]

or they are slightly smaller and have a "pinch" in the sides sort of like this:

[​IMG]

Wow. :mad:

Isn't the innovation stunning? Not.

I find that to be constantly "grasping" the mouse in an active way is tiring and the smaller the thing is the more you have to raise your hand up above it and kind of "pinch" it (like you are picking up a piece of poop or something). When you have a very large hand like I do, the pinching and grasping is all exaggerated and can be extremely exhausting.

Way back in the 90's I had a mouse that worked better (for me) than any other I had ever found. It was this one:

[​IMG]

The picture doesn't show it but this thing was pretty huge. I found I could lay my hand across the top passively, (without the grasp or pinch) and with only microscopic movements of my fingers (that were already lying on the buttons), click on things all day without getting tired.

I am not so much wanting this mouse back again as it was a ball mouse and suffered from all that clogging and cleaning one had to do back then. My point is really more about choice, innovation, and ergonomics. There seemed to be much more choice and innovation in the mouse market back then.

Why are all mice substantially the same now?
    Why doesn't any company produce a mouse in multiple sizes for different size hands?
    Why does ergonomics not come into it anymore?

Just because no one is going to sue the mouse companies for giving them carpal tunnel syndrome anymore, doesn't mean they should not try to make a comfortable working mouse does it? I think it's obvious that the human hand varies widely in it's structure and the fact that the market has settled on a single basic design and size is indicative of a failure of imagination.

Okay, rant over, but I really would like to know what (reasonable, intelligent) people think about this? Am I a whiner? Are my needs so unique as to make me a marginal market? Or do I have a point?

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

1. They are trying to make mice more compact.
    2. If the mice are too large people with small hands - woman mainly - would have a hard time using them.
    3. I've never had an issue with the mice I've had, sorry to hear you're having issues.

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I found the Mighty Mouse far too small for my hands and I kept activating the side buttons because my thumb rested upon them.

As a right-handed user, the most comfortable mouse I have found so far is the Microsoft 6000 V2 Laser Mouse, though the Intellimouse series has also been good (the current version - 3.0 - I find quite comfortable).