Mouse or Trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tdb2284, Aug 17, 2016.

1. tdb2284 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

i have a late 2013 21.5 inch imac. Love it, however I dont love changing batteries on the keyboard and magic mouse that I have. I am considering buying the newest versions that have a rechargeable battery. My only question is, coming from a magic mouse..if i go to the new trackpad..is there a steep learning curve? What have been your experiences with the Magic Trackpad 2?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I assume you're familiar with Apple trackpads already, so no, there practically isn't a learning curve. Even Force Touch takes 5 seconds to learn.

I love my Magic Trackpad 2. I use it in addition to a traditional mouse, not instead of.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I bought one and absolutely hated it and sold it. It is easy to learn, but I just never could get used to it when trying to do things that require fine grain control of the cursor. A lot of people really like then Trackpad though. Is there somewhere you could go try it out first maybe?

4. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Agreed.

For casual browsing, trackpad is awesome.

A $20 Logitech mouse is better than the Magic Mouse.

5. Lachhh macrumors regular

I used a magic mouse (first version) for years and recently got the Trackpad 2. What can I say... neither is optimal. The magic mouse never truly replaced a regular mouse for me either, though. For some things (like gaming) I usually preferred a less flimsy, more solid and old-school option. I feel similarly about the trackpad... I'd use it in conjunction with a normal mouse, not a replacement. Play around with it a bit and discover which you prefer for any given computer usage scenario ... mentioned this in another thread already, but I got the trackpad exclusively for working in Photoshop with. Rest of the time... non-apple mouse all the way.
    I was disappointed in the magic mouse, so I haven't replaced my decommissioned one (which I used for over 4 years) with a magic mouse 2. Massively expensive and mostly uncomfortable mouse.

It's alright, but I have a hard time giving out a strong recommendation for it.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It all depends! Do you dabble in Photoshop or Video production then go for a great mouse! If you just surf web sites then for for the trackpad!