Mouse performance

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joomGO, Aug 13, 2009.

1. joomGO macrumors newbie

joomGO

I have a brand new MacBook Pro that I absolutely LOVE. As a web media developer I do a lot of work in Illustrator and Photoshop and the only thing I don't like is the performance of my wireless mouse. It's a lot different feeling than when I was on a PC. It just seems more jumpy and shakey and not nearly as smooth.

I am running SteerMouse to make it better but it's still not as precise as I'd like. Is this because it's a wireless mouse (not bluetooth)? I tried the Mighty Mouse (bluetooth) and it was bad so I bought a nice Logitech wireless and it's not any better.

Would I have better performance out of a USB wired mouse? The touchpad on my laptop seems to be fine, it's just when I use a mouse so I wasn't sure what caused this....

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I've never really liked how the mouse works on OS X compared to Windows or Linux. But if there's some way to fix it...

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

Try USB Overdrive. I found I got a lot better results with it compared to Steermouse.

4. wankey macrumors 6502a

Mouse performance in Windows is vastly superior... this is coming from a FPS and RTS gamer. It just feels a lot more natural in windows and a lot more responsive / better ability to hit your target.

Now I'm maybe prejudiced because I play on Windows machines a lot but seriously, playing on a mac is feels so handicapped. I can almost feel the mouse pointer creeping up individual pixels sometimes.

5. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

I can't believe how horrible the mouse feels on a Mac. Trying to work on graphics feels difficult, specially to get use to.

I absolutely love my Mac but this is so disappointing.

Thanks for the tip to try USB Overdrive, appreciate that. I'm going to try it now and post my feedback here to hopefully help others.

I have USB Overdrive installed but I believe SteerMouse is still controlling the speed of the cursor, so I just have to figure out how to disable SteerMouse or uninstall it to see just how good USB Overdrive is.

Whatever I did, the mouse seems to have a little better performance.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

If I remember correctly you can uninstall Steermouse by opening it's control panel and then in the top bar going to one of the menus.

7. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

I've gone through all the settings in the SteerMouse control panel window and there's nothing for uninstall

8. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Just out of curiosity.
    What are your Steermouse settings?

These are mine:
    [​IMG]

With these settings my mouse behaves almost exactly the same as the mouse at my work (Windows) PC.

Oh...and these are the settings I used for USB Overdrive, which gave me the same results

[​IMG]

9. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

Here are my settings - I think I'll try yours.

When I adjusted my USB Overdrive settings (Speed and Acceleration) I didnt notice any change in how the cursor moved.

Attached Files:

10. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

Ok I just changed my settings to what you have and I do see a difference when adjusting the USB Overdrive settings...

Thank you very much for the helpful tips!

11. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

I just uninstalled SteerMouse and am just running USB Overdrive now.

Is it better to run both?

12. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

You can't run both at the same time, only one Mouse drive kernel extension can be used at a time.
    Although USB overdrive used to 'overdrive' any other Mouse driver I tried, it does not so with SteerMouse installed.

You may keep the SteerMouse installer though.
    I kept my copy of USB Overdrive just in case I went with another mouse and the SteerMouse settings would no longer work with the new mouse.

13. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

So you like the performance of SteerMouse better than USB Overdrive?

14. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Well USB overdrive gave me the same positive results with the mice I used and the one I currently use.
    After trial and error that is, you just have to try as much possible combinations to get it right, the same goes for SteerMouse of course.
    I just like the interface of SteerMouse a bit better.
    Both have the same features and options, so it doesn't really matter which one I use.

Maybe Snow Leopard forces me back to USB Overdrive, who knows...or a new mouse...

Have you found a good setting yet?

15. n1ck macrumors member

Just got a Mac mini and was having similar issues with my mouse - Steermouse has sorted them thanks to this thread!!

However I cant get forward and back to work - Steermouse doesnt seem to recognise the side buttons. Back will work if assigned to the middle button though. Its a wired G9 mouse - any suggestions?

16. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Have you tried all possible buttons?
    Button 4 till 16?

And did you assign a short-cut key to the buttons?
    [​IMG]

17. n1ck macrumors member

Yep - set it up exactly as your screen shot - it only seems to detect the main two buttons and the click wheel.

18. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Bummer.
    Apparantly your mouse is not fully supported.

You may want to try USB Overdrive instead?

19. joomGO thread starter macrumors newbie

joomGO

What I don't understand is the touchpad is perfect but a mouse is COMPLETELY different.

How can true Mac lovers deal with it? It's VERY annoying and uncomfortable to use.

20. EricJD macrumors regular

I can't seem to get my MX Revolution to smooth scroll with SteerMouse. I'm not talking about the physical wheel itself, I did figure out how to enable free scrolling mode there. But in apps, the scroll is choppy and not smooth like with Logitech Control Center. Any advice?