Mouse Recommendation for Photography

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rudy Rudolph, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Rudy Rudolph macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently bought a retina Macbook pro and plan to do some photography/graphic design on it. I would like to have a mouse instead of using the track pad when editing. What is your recommendation on a mouse? Buy an Apple magic mouse, buy a different mouse, or stick with a wireless USB Microsoft mouse that I have been using with PCs?

Thanks,
    Rudy

2. cookies! macrumors 6502

I like to use gaming mice with adjustable dpi.... logitech, razer, etc

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Radical suggestion -- have you considered a Wacom tablet? Much better than either a trackpad or a mouse, IMHO.

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I like the Magic mouse for surfing but for design work I use the MS Wireless Mouse 5000. It's not fancy or expensive but fits my hand well and has four programmable buttons.

5. schopaia macrumors member

schopaia

Absolutely a tablet. Check monoprice and huinon tablets for good alternatives to the expensive wacoms.

6. Rudy Rudolph thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all the responses. I do have a small Wacom tablet and a mouse with programable buttons so I think I will stick with them for editing.

7. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

This exactly. They're built to be comfortable, nicely sized, and most importantly, precise.

I have a Wacom tablet too, it's great but not a replacement for a good mouse. Actually, I'm lucky, I'm left handed, but I've always used the mouse with my right hand. The Wacom is perfect for my left hand. Now if only I could type with my nose ;).

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Ditto here - write with my left hand and use a cursor device in my right hand. In my case, I absolutely prefer a Kingston Trackball (with the ring around the track ball) for moving the cursor around for general usage. The Wacom for me is a real time saver. I have used the Cintiq but found that it was easier for me to keep my eye on the screen and use an Intuos instead. I know others prefer the Cintiq which is fantastic but alas, I found that the stylus being exactly where I need to see was a challenge after several minutes of use but that is just a unique problem to me.

9. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Same here - Intuos 4 for the left hand, but I prefer the wireless trackpad for my right hand as it's a good size for scrolling and gesture navigation.