Mouse Recommendation for Video Editing?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MatchFrame, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

I got along okay with my mighty mouse for a long time until the scroll wheel (ball?) finally got enough gunk in it to render vertical scrolling impossible. Now I'm looking for a new mouse...

I'm a video editor and primarily work in Final Cut Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop on my Mac Pro. The ability to scroll left, right, up, and down is important, but any other bells and whistles would be bonus. Not a fan of trackballs or the idea of using a Wacom tablet. Wireless would be good, and if wired, I would want a short cord like the mighty mouse (unfortunately, this usually means a tiny laptop mouse).

If you're a video editor or graphic designer, what do you use or recommend?

I'm eyeing the Logitech MX Revolution, but I'd love to hear what everyone else is using.

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I use the MX Revolution. I like sidescrolling, and it certainly does it better with that wheel than the mighty mouse. But I also use a Contour ShuttlePro for my left hand that has various functions mapped to it. Very handy. I'd like it if my revolution was bluetooth, but otherwise no complaints. Does the job. Heck, even LCC hasn't been driving me nuts, as they made it much less awful. Though it's still reputedly awful, it's been serving me well enough.

3. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Waiting for my MX Revolution to arrive :cool:

I'm was in same situation, mighty mouse went, tried a revolution at a friends and loved it.

I second getting a Contour ShuttlePro

4. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

It seems like the MX Revolution is the way to go, unless I hear otherwise. I've heard the capabilities on the Mac are reduced. Have you experienced that or is it still fully functional?

So basically, with the Contour ShuttlePro, you'd have your right hand on your mouse and left hand on the ShuttlePro? As in, for most basic stuff, it replaces the keyboard? Is that the idea? What do you guys like about it versus the keyboard?

5. sboerup macrumors 6502

I just got the Razer Mamba to try out. Love the idea of corded/cordless all in one. Speed and latency are equal either way.

I don't need tons of buttons, but wish there were maybe one or 2 more, but I'm happy. Price is up there, but $125 vs $89 isnt that big of a deal to me.

6. grue macrumors 65816

MX Revolution all the way, on every computer that I use with any regularity. Mighty Mouse causes cancer.

7. Fomaphone macrumors regular

am i the only FCP editor around here who actually loves the mighty mouse? i ditched a logitech mouse (without sidescrolling) in favor of the mighty mouse.

i try to stick mostly to hotkeys when i'm working anyway, but i haven't been disappointed with the MM at all.

8. grue macrumors 65816

Mighty Mouse is fourth-rate trash. The scroll ball design is awful (it almost certainly WILL fail on you), you can't left click whilst holding the right click, the ergonomics of the side button are awful, etc.

Apple should be ashamed of it.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

The MX Revolution has essentially been as functional as I needed it to be - doing more could be accomplished with third party drivers (Steermouse, etc.) if you needed it.

You have the right idea for the ShuttlePro - it has buttons with little panels you can put the symbols on (for example, in/out points, replace edit, etc.), then map it to them with the software. It also has, most usefully, a little jog wheel that's extra handy for scrubbing through clips at whatever speed you need. It's just a bit more convenient for operating with the mouse and functions at the same time, in my view. Does take a little training, though.

10. JasO macrumors regular

If you need any more swaying towards the MX revolution, I'll chime in. BUY IT!!! Greatest mouse I ever owned. I sold it when I sold my iMac. I'm not using a 'Razer' Gaming mouse as it was the only one I could find (kept the Mighty Mouse in it's original packing from the MacPro...don't even know if the thing works!)

So yeah...go and buy it!

11. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

It sound like everyone is loving the MX Revolution, so I'm going to go with it. It looks pretty great, and I'm glad to hear so many positive things about it.

The ShuttlePro sounds helpful, too. I'm adding that to my "future purchases" until I take care of the mouse and a few other things first.

The Mighty Mouse is great for short-term use, on separate daily and monthly rates. As the day goes on, your hand starts to hurt. As the months go on, the scroll ball gets gunked up with even the cleanest of desks and fingers. It is aesthetically pleasing, for sure, but usually Apple comes through with functionality as well.

Maybe there should be a Mighty Mouse Pro with proper ergonomics that ships with the Mac Pro?

12. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

One question please.
    How does the usb laser sensor work?
    Does it have to be in visible sight line of the mouse?
    If you connect it to the side of an apple keyboard, does it work?
    If it's connected to the back of my mac pro will it still work?
    Can you simply plug the usb laser sensor into a macbook pro and use the mouse with that too?

13. indiochano macrumors regular

more importantly, make SURE you get a good mouse surface.

a good mouse often becomes crippled if it's not used with a proper surface.

I recommend you get the func surface pad as it is an excellent mousepad that will last you literally years (ive had mine since 2002 and it still feels like silk on my mouse).