Mouse recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oklaonion, Sep 8, 2014.

1. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

Hi all,

My ye olde Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3000 is finally in the process of dying a slow death (only works about 10% of the time now) and I hate buying mice. I need some recommendations!

I just dropped all my money on a brand new Macbook 13" Air and I only use the mouse to play Diablo III and Europa Universalis IV, so I'm looking to spend <$20.

Beyond the price, the only thing that it has to have is very little resistance in the two mouse buttons, since I work at a computer all day and click a lot in Diablo. It needs to be easy to click!

I almost don't care if it's wireless or not, but it gets bonus points if it is small and easy to travel with, since I travel a bit for work.

Thanks!

2. geraldo macrumors newbie

Mouse recommendation - Logitech Anywhere MX

This is the mouse I've used for my Macs and Windows laptops (work) the last few years.
    Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Anywhere-Mouse-MX/dp/B002HWRJBC

I've included the Amazon link, though at this current time, Best Buy is selling it for less. Generally, if you hold out, you can get it for less than $40.

I cannot comment on the included Logitech SW, since I'm not a fan of installing yet more software. The mouse has very good 'feel', it clicks reliably, gently and relatively quietly. It's not one of the loud, cheap annoying clicks. The clicks are quiet yet positive. It comes with a nice pouch and micro transceiver that is small enough to leave attached to a laptop. It is a smallish sized mouse, probably comparable in size to those that Microsoft sells for notebook use, with the big difference that the MS ones seem to sound cheap and clicky by comparison, and not as well built or as ergonomically shaped.

I think the mouse is sized well for someone who likes to rest their palm on the desk / mouse pad, and use their fingers to move the mouse around. I wear Men's size Medium gloves, by the way.

The scroll wheel of the mouse can also be changed from a inaudible, but tactile click-click to a smooth, continuous scroll. It's got other buttons as well, top of mouse, plus backwards-forwards where your thumb rests, but I don't use both.

The mouse tracks well on a lot of surfaces. I think the most recent surface I had challenges with was a black smooth polished table top. Glass tables are OK though.

I've owned about four of these the last few years - I traveled as a consultant for 10 years, so my mouse got stuffed into a bag a lot and subject to some abuse. These things eventually fail, but not IMO more so than anything else that one travel would with. I haven't bought one in more than a year, so can't speak to any changes in quality of the product since then.

Hope this helps.

3. Huerz macrumors member

Coming from 2 years on a Microsoft 4000 Mouse, my recent purchase of the Logitech m705 Marathon Mouse has me absolutely stoked.

I haven't had the opportunity to game with it yet but in terms of comfort, size (slightly larger than the 4000 mentioned above) and responsiveness, it's simply delicious. There are a number of positive amazon reviews that will attest the same. I think it might be on sale there atm too.

Oh, and two little buttons on the side of the mouse are sweet little additions I didn't anticipate (or take advantage of on my previous mouse).

5/5 would mouse.

4. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I'd go for the Apple Magic Mouse, because it's just one big ergonomic button, but the entire surface is touch sensitive as well and it can be programmed with all sorts of gestures and taps and swipes using Better Touch Tool.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Logitech M510

I use a Logitech M510 on both my home (Mac Mini) and work (Dell laptop) computers. Sure, it's not a very Mac-ish looking mouse, but it works great and fits my hand comfortably. Personally, I hate the trend of small and/or flat mice that cause my hand to cramp up, but at the same time I hate the ginormous mice with 7,000 buttons, too.

The M510 is a wireless "laser" mouse (not infrared, so no red light) and has the typical two main buttons, a normal (i.e., has the "clicks") wheel with side scrolling, and forward/back thumb buttons. It also uses the Logitech "nano" receiver, so I just leave mine plugged in all the time. If you're a lefty, I don't think it would work well, though, as the thumb buttons are made for a righty.

$25 on B&H (cheaper elsewhere, too):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...aO9YFVftRGhHoAaAkKs8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

+1

After using the Magic Mouse for the past few years with BetterTouchTool the gestures have become second nature and I find myself trying to invoke them on non-touch sensitive mice when I am forced to use them.

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Another vote for the Anywhere MX - my Mac Pro's default rodent. Precise, fast, light, marvellous.

Though with my MBP I need Bluetooth as I need my USB ports which rules out the MX with the reciever. Try as I might the magic mouse I find uncomfortable after a while and the gestures can go wrong, plus Apple's drivers for bootcamp are dreadful. Winner hands down and my current MBP mouse is the latest Razer Orochi which is superb but still not without gripes - goes to sleep too fast and munches through rechargeable AA 2500Ma cells like an electronic Pac Man - 2 weeks at best!

8. triple-tap macrumors 6502

I know it is made by MS, but I picked up this mouse over the weekend. I am loving it. It does have a USB wireless dongle, but it fits inside the bottom of the mouse for easy traveling. I intend to start using this for work on a daily basis due to the level of comfort. WAYYYYYYY better than the magic mouse I had been toying with for the past few weeks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...7&skuId=1818042&st=ergonomic mouse&cp=1&lp=1#