Mouse recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by REBELinBLUE, Mar 9, 2008.

1. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

I am totally fed up with the Mighty mouse, I don't like the feel, not being able to click left and right at the same time, and the ball keeps sticking so I am looking to get a new mouse.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I am looking at the Logitech MX revolution, but I don't like the fact that it takes up both a power socket and a USB port.

A bluetooth mouse would be best, since the only spare USB port I have is the one on the right off the keyboard, the rest are taken up by my iPod Touch, Skype phone, Keyboard and Archos 605 and since the iPod Touch and Archos 605 can't run off of the USB port on the keyboard I can't rearrange any of the devices.

I'd prefer one with at least 4 buttons (left, right and the either side for example) and a multi directional scroller.

So, any ideas?

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse that I bought about 6 years ago that I am using for the time being, but I hadn't realised how often I use left/right scrolling until I could no longer do it.

2. Fahadeen macrumors newbie

I just bought a Logitech MX revolution. ITS AMAZING !! the buttons are customizable, the scroll wheel is frictionless and flies ! when you grab it if feels like it fit in your hand ! its the best mouse out there !

3. Y-Guy macrumors newbie

I've had a Logitech MX 1000 Laser mouse on my PC that I will be transferring to my iMac as soon as it arrives. Best mouse I've used as far as comfort and use of buttons, even if they don't work the comfort factor alone will keep me using it.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I prefer ergonomic, multi-button mice, so I bought the Logitech MX Revolution and it's been great. The biggest downside is it uses a USB dongle for wireless; no Bluetooth when I bought mine. If there's a BT version now, that would be about perfect. It has enough buttons to control: Expose (Windows), Expose (Desktop), Dashboard, Browser Foward/Back, and Volume -- in addition to normal right/left/scroll. The volume control on the side button is a little wonky -- the last remant for me of Logitech's imperfect driver software. But I'm satisfied with this mouse.

But generally any of the Microsoft and Logitech mice will be good. Just find the mouse with the right array of buttons and wireless setup. (One exception: the Microsoft Laser 6000 line has very poor wireless behavior. This is noted in the reviews and I found it to be true as well.)

5. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Just give it a quick clean and remap the buttons, use the click on the scroll ball as right click, works perfect.

Know what you mean about the actual right click not being very good, still such a nice mouse though

6. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

seriously, aren't there a lot of threads like this already? i'm sure a quick search would shed some light :)

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Who cares, just answer the question or say nothing. Whats the point in saying that, I dont even know the point in me saying this either but I'm making a point of some sort.

Think its rude just saying that in a thread, how about trying to provide a link to a thread about this??

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you can have a bluetooth MX Revolution if you buy the logitech 5500 wireless desktop set. That means you have to buy the keyboard too, though.

9. crayonshin macrumors member

Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000

I had similar requirements when I bought a mouse. Mine were:
    1) work with built-in bluetooth of my MacBook
    2) have tilt scrolling
    3) have at least left/right buttons as well as forward/back buttons
    4) have replaceable batteries
    5) nice ergonomics while not looking hideous

The only mouse I found that fit the bill was ironically the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. Take a look: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=084

The aluminum is very nice, it's full-size (not tiny travel size), and works great on the Mac. The only problem is that the acceleration is horrible with the included Mac software. So I bought SteerMouse for $20 and it works beautifully. Yeah, this makes the total price around $80-$90 but two things I never cheap on with computers are the display and the input devices.

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Logitech MX Revolution. If you don't like the RF receiver hogging a USB port, wait for the bluetooth one

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

How about trying a simple search on a topic that's been beaten to death?

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=9759360

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

13. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

searching DOES help. it will find you answers.

14. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

**yawn**

For your information I did search, but most of the posts I found were to do with problems with the mighty mouse or general mouse problems.

@Santa Rosa - Yes I know about cleaning it, configuring it etc (I use click on the mouse ball as middle click, i.e. open links in new tabs etc) but I use 3 of them regularly (iMac at home, iMac at work, Macbook on train) and I just do not like them, simple as that. I am taking my MS mouse into work on Monday I think to use instead of the mighty mouse there, but thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone. I went with the Logitech MX Revolution and I have to admit it is a very good mouse. Shame about the Logitech Control Center software, or specifically the "LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader" input manager which breaks Growl, the TextMate "mate" command and causes problems with WoW. Removing that seems to fix all those problems but the mouse still seems to function perfectly, so no idea what that is for. Gotta love quality software. ;)

I don't mind the MX Revolution's USB receiver, I was under the impression that the basestation was the receiver, so it needed a socket and a USB port (thus there would be cables everywhere which is why I wasn't too keen) rather than the receiver and basestation being two seperate devices.

15. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

These people appear to know what they are talking about. Clearly some of the best decision makers on this forum. I'd listen to them.