Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I'm still trying to use my MBP completely as a replacement for my desktop. One thing that I cannot get right to my liking, is the (external) mouse speed, especially for Photoshop use. In Vista on my desktop, my mouse responds very quickly and accurately, but it feels sluggish on my mbp. I tried changing the mouse settings in preferences, but I just cannot get it right. Anyone else had the same problem? Fixed?

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I'm still trying to use my MBP completely as a replacement for my desktop. One thing that I cannot get right to my liking, is the (external) mouse speed, especially for Photoshop use. In Vista on my desktop, my mouse responds very quickly and accurately, but it feels sluggish on my mbp. I tried changing the mouse settings in preferences, but I just cannot get it right. Anyone else had the same problem? Fixed?

For me, the mighty mouse is slower. I have 2 mice, ones a Belkin mouse and the others the mighty mouse. The lowest possible tracking speed on the belkin mouse is the fastest possible tracking speed on the mighty mouse. Therefore you may want to try out the mouse you used on your PC.

fishyuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Near London UK
Hmmm, just got my second Mac after a year or so hiatus. Primary use will be Windows but it is good to be able to mess with OSX again.

Same problem, even at full speed the mighty mouse is too slow. Wireless in my case but I also find the wired ones to be toooooo slow. Is there any hack to increase the tracking speed? I'm sure the hardware is up to it (which I'll confirm once I've installed Win 7) but the OSX settings seem a tad conservative. The default out of the box setting was so slow I thought it wasn't even working properly.

I'd like to avoid having to install 3rd party mouse software so hope there is a sensitivity setting that can be modified. Otherwise, hoping that Snow Leopard allows more leeway.

Cheers

Alex

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
Mighty Mouse is crap.

I actually use a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and it works great and the same in both macosx and windows.

fishyuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Near London UK
Mighty Mouse is crap.

I actually use a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and it works great and the same in both macosx and windows.

Not overly fond of the design myself but had to order it with the keyboard so would like to get it to work :). Hoping there will be some sort of tweak to be done.

This is only a secondary machine, primarily as a Windows 7 box to take a lot of personal stuff off my work laptop but I still enjoy messing with OSX so anything to improve the experience is appreciated.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Are you talking about the actual speed of the pointer? or how the pointer accelerates? You can crank up the actual speed pretty high (although the MM is just plain crap) but the acceleration profile is different on Windows. I'm not sure if there is a 3rd party utility that can modify this for you, but someone here might point you in a general direction.

I think on Windows there is less 'acceleration', it's far more direct, but on Mac OS X, it kinda ramps up it. I like it this way, because it means I can make small pointer movements more accurately.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's difference in mouse acceleration. Plenty of threads on this.

Think about this. Why would more people use Macs (OSX) for design / art?

You are used to something different, but "fast" doesn't mean accurate. Artists actually deamnd accuracy which is what the OSX mouse curve provides.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I use a trackball with OSX; MouseZoom (preference pane) to speed up the tracking as fast as you want, without impacting the accuracy and I use Kill Mouse Accel (script) to knock off the OS X acceleration when needed.

Q-6

Attachments

• Kill Mouse Accel.app.zip
    42.2 KB · Views: 362

gigadigit

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
I have tried everything suggested in this forum. I also tried like 7 different mouses. I still have a few of them. None of them are to my liking. When I want to do slow and accurate movements, the mouse feels LIGHT BUT TOO STICKY. IT'S VERY ANNOYING. I guess I can't do anything about it, and just have to live with it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/697870/

It doesn't matter if it's bluetooth mouse or wired usb mouse. it's the same thing.

I guess the people who are saying nothing wrong with the Mac mouse movements have never tried Windows.

I wonder how long it would take the iFanBoy to chime in. Now go back under the bridge, troll.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007

Yes, the pointer acceleration under OS X is plain weird.

You can try flicking the mouse quickly. That might help as
the system responds to speed of movement.

Alas, to get the cursor across the screen at default settings,
one must walk the mouse to a nearby town. I've often been
out shopping for a loaf of bread and met a man with a mouse.

"... just one more mile to go and I'll click the Apple menu..."

nout72

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
The Netherlands
I have tried everything suggested in this forum. I also tried like 7 different mouses. I still have a few of them. None of them are to my liking. When I want to do slow and accurate movements, the mouse feels LIGHT BUT TOO STICKY. IT'S VERY ANNOYING. I guess I can't do anything about it, and just have to live with it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/697870/

It doesn't matter if it's bluetooth mouse or wired usb mouse. it's the same thing.

I guess the people who are saying nothing wrong with the Mac mouse movements have never tried Windows.

Did you try USB Overdrive or MouseSteer?
I honestly cannot imagine how these two drivers wouldn't solve your issue with OSX's accelaration curve.

I have set MouseSteer to get the exact mouse movement as I get at my work, using Windows.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006

Thanks for the sarcasm, O Perfect and Ever Wise Sage. I guess I have to bow down to your superior forum-fu and realize that saying that OS X works as well as Windows is one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Not at all. Snarky comments from fanbois such as yourself are pretty normal on MacRumors. The OP was saying that HE has been unable to match the tracking speed on OS X like he had on Windows. Nice of you to add your $0.02, but it really adds nothing to the conversation and just comes off as petty.
Ah, the voice of the ideologically pure who demand that all fall into line or be named 'fanboi' regardless of what they really think. I'm impressed! Do you feel better because you're superior to us poor chumps who simply can't compare to your brilliant prose and biting wit?

I realize it's a crime to let someone know that you don't share their experience, but frankly, I don't much care. However, since you're apparently very worried that I didn't solve the OP's problem for him, I took five seconds to Google 'speeding up mouse speed in OS X' as well as 'making OS X mice work like Windows mice' and found a large number of hits. Here's one: Speed up Mouse Tracking on Mac OS X.

gigadigit, you sure you've installed and tried MouseZoom X? You might try this program also if you haven't found anything else.

sprockett

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
bringing up this old thread again, but i faced the exact same problem with my Macbook air, especially when using design programs.

I dont think its a matter of which is better or worse, but rather, which you are used to.

This was a big bugbear for me, an ex windows user. Everything was perfect about my new MBA, except for mouse sensitivity.

Steermouse solved it instantly. my MBA now is now perfect.

Steermouse for the win!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.