Mouse sometimes starts stuttering after waking up (MBP)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LoneWolf121188, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

This only started happening a day or two ago, but I installed Leopard last week, so I don't think the two are connected. Basically, sometimes when I open the lid, the mouse won't work properly. It stutters and jerks all over the place. Closing all apps and such won't fix it, nor will putting it back to sleep and then waking it back up again. The only solution I've found is to restart the computer. Good thing Macs reboot so quickly! But seriously, does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what kind of mouse is it? inbuilt trackpad? wireless/wired mighty mouse?

3. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trackpad. I've never tried using an external mouse.

4. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

I have this same problem, and it drives me crazy. Usually it doesn't want to wake up initially (the screen just stays black) but if and when it eventually does finally wake up, it operates very sluggishly. The pointer (trackpad) is very jerky and not smooth at all, and I have to restart. It happens to me at least once a day now, and the Genius at the Mac store didn't have any solution (of course it wasn't doing it when I took it in to him). He hadn't even heard of the problem, which means Apple isn't even working on it. I have to restart mine at least once a day now, sometimes more. It's so frustrating, I'm starting not to like Leopard at all (never did it with Tiger). I'm using a 2.2Ghz MBP.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh it sounds like a leopard issue. i have no idea sorry.

6. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not that its acting sluggish...its actually just as responsive as ever. Its just the mouse. Apps and everything run just fine, but trying to click on stuff is annoying because the mouse is jumping around.

7. FullGaz macrumors member

I have the same problem on a MBP 2.4G, 4GB (Mid 2007).
    I installed Leopard last night, put the MPB to sleep by closing the cover and when I woke it up by opening the cover I had a black screen. It's only after playing with the trackpad for a few seconds that the screen came back on but the pointer was all jerky. I tried browsing TM and the stars where moving jerkily as well! I had to restart to get back to normal.

8. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

1. Do you have 10.5.2 installed? It helps a lot with sleep issues, so I'd highly recommend updating if you haven't already.

2. Do you happen to have iStat or another similar system reporting utility installed (either in your menu bar or in the Dashboard)? If so, try turning these off and try sleeping your Mac again.

9. writeous macrumors regular

Turning off the network function in iStat seems to be the fix in this problem. It worked for me.

10. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

There was a lot of posts on the Apple Discussion Boards about iStat causing the mouse to be very jumpy, thanks for confirming that it's just the network portion of the application. There were also reports of it causing some MacBook and MacBook Pro's not waking from sleep, I wonder if turning off the network function solves that as well.