Mouse still hesitates over buttons. Is there a fix?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xilebat, Feb 16, 2011.

1. xilebat macrumors newbie

Hi.

I recently came into a small inheritance from a relative I never knew. My G5 is dying and it's time to make the Windows/Mac decision again.

I'm ready to stay loyal if OSX Snow Leopard has fixed one simple issue. Otherwise, I'm off to Maingear and fend for myself.

It's the mouse. Specifically, the mouse in OSX hesitates over buttons and in window corners. On my G5 I killed this by installing an MS mouse with Intellipoint. Logitech mice did not work.

This has nothing to do with accessibility options (been down that path), and everything to do with how Apple codes for mouse acceleration curves.

I recently tried a Snow Leopard mouse at a Best Buy, and the hesitation is still there.

All I want is a fast mouse that goes where I want as fast as I want, and stops when I tell it to. In short, Windows mouse behavior in OSX.

Has anybody encountered this in Snow Leopard, or fixed it with a third-party app? Nobody's gonna let me install mouse software in the store.

THANKS.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'm not sure what you mean by hesitation... I've never noticed that the cursor hesitates for anything. Can you explain more, or provide a video that shows what you're talking about?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Millions of Mac users and professionals disagree. There is no "hesitation."

Btw, there is no such thing as "Snow Leopard mouse."

Are you a Nigerian prince?

4. xilebat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking an honest request ad hominem. It adds so much.

http://www.tidbits.com/article/8893

5. xilebat thread starter macrumors newbie

It's subtle, and I'm not sure a video would show it--you can definitely feel it in use when you compare it to a Windows machine. On my G5 and on the Snow Leopard Mac I tested, whenever you move the mouse over any actionable button in the GUI, it slows down to a crawl. The MS mouse I have feels more natural because it will let you move right over any button that's in the way--no hesitation at all.

Other macrumors users have experienced hesitation over GUI buttons as well:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=575565

I've shown this to Windows users and they definitely see it. I'm just trying to see if there's a workaround anybody uses, since there are more and more 'switchers' out there used to faster mouse acceleration curves.

I've gotten a few recommendations to try steermouse and bettertouchtool. A local Apple reseller is going to let me demonstrate the issue and see if he can't fix it before I drop $6K. I'll let you guys know if I find an answer.

And thanks for your quick--and civil-- answer.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm not sure this is true - if it were we'd all be seeing it. And I've never seen this issue (unless it's very, VERY subtle).

I'm not sure I can offer any help - do you notice heavy disk usage when you see this? How much RAM do you have in that machine? I presume you don't have any 3rd party apps/prefpanes etc. installed which could be causing this.

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Ive never heard of anything like this before either. Im moving my logitech mouse over all my buttons now and low and behold, no hesitation.

Logitech mice have always worked fine with osx too, ive been using them since 10.1. This is all sounding extremely weird.

8. xilebat thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I'd never presume that everybody is seeing it (I remember the near-universal dissatisfaction over the 'hockey puck' mouse). the following link from the apple support website documents a similar case and it remains unsolved. one user hated the delay so much (s)he boot camps windows for most of her work.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1791889

I have 12 MB of RAM and the hesitation was there from day one. Disk usage is normal. It was only after installing 3rd party software that it went away. And yes, it could be after all this research I'm sensitized to it and would be better off on Windows (ugh). if i can't verify that the mouse hesitation will go away, that's where I'll have to go.