Mouse Terminating / Timing Out?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DudeMartin, Jan 15, 2012.

1. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Hello!

My Logitech M100 USB mouse keeps freezing up and/or completely turning off - constantly! About every 5 minutes, the mouse just shuts off (the laser at the bottom even turns off) and it becomes no longer operational. To fix it, I have to unplug it and plug it back in. This solution is good for another 5 minutes.

Every time my mouse disconnected, I noticed this pop up in the console:

Code:
    1/15/12 8:27:32.000 PM kernel: USB Optical Mouse::terminate(kIOServiceSynchronous) timeout

And, if this is relevant at all:

Code:
    1/15/12 8:29:10.000 PM kernel: 0        0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed

Any ideas?
    Thanks a ton in advance!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I wonder if the mouse is bad? I never have problems with mice on any of my Macs. I use a Logitech VX470 BT mouse on my main machine and various other usb, usb/wireless and BT mice on our other Macs. No problem. Ever. So it might be a mouse going bad or... a usb port going bad. Yikes!

3. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am using a different mouse, and it does not have the problem. But I don't understand why the mouse would go bad. It's less than a year old, it's in great condition, and it's been working flawless up until 2 days ago.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That's actually great news. USB mice can be had for 2 bucks but a usb port going bad, especially if you're out of AppleCare, is very very bad news.

5. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I suppose that's a good way of looking at it. I didn't purchase AppleCare along with my computer, nor any form of extended warranty. And I suspect a USB port / logic board replacement would cost quite some money. However, it hasn't been a year since I bought the computer.

I guess I'll be heading out tomorrow or some other pay picking up a new mouse.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I suggest you consider a Bluetooth mouse. Once you go cordless, it's hard to go back to that doggone rat tail. MS and Logitech both offer several fine BT mice. There are also a lot of USB wireless mice but they all expect you to leave a "dongle" hanging out of one of your USB ports. I don't really like Apple's input devices. I have a "magic mouse "sitting in a drawer along with several "mighty" mice. I really should find the time to put them up on ebay so somebody gets benefit out of them. They are nice enough but I like my Logitech VX470 better.

Since you haven't had your machine for a full year yet, you could pick up AppleCare if you suspect there is trouble on the horizon. I had the logic board replaced in my son's mid 2009 Macbook pro which would have been a $900 repair so for me AppleCare was well worth it.

7. tug macrumors 6502