Mouse vs. Trackball: The Ultimate Showdown

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by monkeyking0, Sep 8, 2012.

1. monkeyking0 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time. I've used mice all my life long and recently bought the Magic Mouse. While it is revolutionary, it's ergonomics are horrible. I wanted to try out something new for more productivity when it comes to using Logic Pro and I read up some reviews saying that Trackball is THE next big thing. I thought I was missing out on something.

It's funny because there seems to be such a huuuge hype for the Kensington Expert Mouse. The reviews and opinions are crazy good, so I didn't hestitate to order one. I now posess one and I have no idea what the hell is going on. I want to like it but it's just... weird. It's not as precise as a mouse at all. I would just go ahead and say "okay, back to mouse" but I'm trying to hard to force myself to like it. I'm just thinking "Why is everyone so in love with this?" and I cannot wrap my head around it :(

What do y'all think?

2. Omnius macrumors 6502a

The trackball is not the next big thing. It was something of an oddity even when it was new a few years ago. The trackpad that apple sells is pretty cool but generally speaking, the mouse is still king for now.

3. yensteel macrumors regular

The feeling of the lack of accuracy when starting, like not being able to point at that specific button with a swift gesture will lessen with practice and you can be pretty accurate after a while.

The trackball mice isn't really strong from an ergonomic standpoint, but from a travel mouse standpoint. They are a lot more flexible in being used outdoors where mousing surfaces are difficult or even impossible to use with. I use my Logitech m570 on my couch, on those table/chair hybrids for lectures, and on my lap.

If you don't think the Kensington expert mouse is good enough, you can try another alternative such as the Kengsington Slimblade, but it's not cheap. You can also stick with traditional mice such as the handshoe mouse, which looks very comfortable and ergonomic.

4. monkeyking0 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what's a good mouse? the trackball thing is just weird to me. even though you get more used to it its just not as precise. marking text is a true accomplishment if i can get the exact line that i wanted on my first try. or just being able to click the little X to close windows on my mac (i know, i use shortcuts but just for testing purpose... and principle. not settling for less)... hell, even the cheap, old microsoft and dell mice at my job are terrific and i can almost use it blindly.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I used to use a Logitech track ball and I loved the thing great for fps. Like anything it takes some getting used to. But looking back I never had an issue with RSI when I used one

6. monkeyking0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Omg I just bought the Logitech Performance MX mouse and ohh em geee its terrific. I'm in love and I just used it a few minutes. Now THIS is a mouse. It even hard more than I asked for: Global Settings. You can actually have the mouse automaticly change the settings of my bettings depending on what App I use.... *brainf$ck*... for me at least lol

----------

for example the side scroller: I won't need it for Chrome/browsing so I will have it switch tabs while I will have it side scroll when I use Logic. ALL AUTOMATIC!

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Two things:

1. Subjective preference. No solution is ever one-size-fits-all. What works for one person may not for the next.
    2. Learning curve. I don't use the Kensington but I didn't immediately pick up the trackball. I am VERY accurate with the trackball but I've been using them for many years.

Spend some time with it and see if it's for you. Polling others isn't going to uncover your preference for you.

Again, subjective. Have you not noticed that people don't all have identical preferences on these matters? :confused: If they did then everyone would use the exact same pointing device and there would be no need for any variety or selection.

If you want recommendations you're going to have to be very clear about what your preferences are on the matter.