Mouse w/ extra buttons & profile switching in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CUsurfer, Jul 1, 2012.

1. CUsurfer macrumors member

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a mouse for use with OSX that has at least 2 additional buttons (in addition to left, right, scroll wheel click) that are mappable to custom keystrokes? I was also looking for the ability to switch between custom profiles (e.g. one for web browsing, one for gaming).

I have tried 2 mice so far:
    1) Razer Orochi. Drivers appear to be very poorly written or incompatible with Lion. The software freaks out and crashes all the time and rarely works. I returned it.

2) Logitech Performance MX. A really good mouse, but it's a little big for my tastes and it seems to naturally track more northeast than I would like. The buttons are great and mappable, but the mouse doesn't support multiple profiles, so each time you want to have a different setup, you have to open the prefs and manually configure it which sucks. I'm going to return it.

If anyone had any suggestions, I would be extremely appreciative. Thanks.

2. kamuix macrumors regular

You could try the cyborg rat 7, which is what I'm currently using. It has a back and forward buttons, plus a precision aim button that slows the mouse tracking for fps in order to shoot (like sniping). The drivers for it work fine and allows me to set up profiles (up to 3). You can easily switch on the fly by tapping a button on a mouse and each color represents a different profile; Red, purple, blue. I have my precision button macro to minimize windows. You could probably set it up to something you prefer. Hope this helps.

3. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

So what do you want it to be, ergonomic? Ambidextrous?

The only mice I can think of right now with multiple mapping capabilities are both the Razer Naga.

The other would be the new Logitech G600, but it has yet to have OS X support.

4. CUsurfer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I've seen those Cyborg mice before. I don't really care for the aesthetics at all, but at this point I'm desperate. When I return the Orochi I bought today, I might pick one of those up and give it a shot.

----------

I don't care too much about the shape. I'm really just concerned with the abilities in the OP. After trying the Orochi, I suspect that all Razer mice won't function properly in OSX 10.7.x, so I'm extremely hesitant to try another one. Like you said, Logitech doesn't support the G-series for Macs. I have heard, however, that you can install the driver and configure the mouse in Windows. Then switch back over to OSX and the mouse will work since the functions are stored in the on-board memory in the mouse. A little annoying, but if that would work, I may take that approach. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?