Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
<3 facial hair, but mustaches are usually bad, IMO.

Goatees are very sexy, and mustaches are best acompanied by a goatee. By themselves they look quite silly, like a broom or something.

_Emerson

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My beard is about the only place I can grow hair these days... :(

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
MacDawg said:
Aww, don't be sad! I think shaven heads look nice... I actually prefer it if ah... um, follicle-ly challenged folks just go shaven (both up top and on the face). Much more dignified look in my book.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
mcadam said:
Don't know about Arafat, but the Danish primeminister fx has to shave 3 times a day to not look like a convict.

A

Some us will remember Richard Nixon's seemingly permanent five o'clock shadow. It was just one of the things that made him look so creepy.

I had a variety of facial hair combinations, mainly full beards, but nothing less than a mustache, for over 25 years. Then one day without warning I decided to go clean -- mainly because the beard had become salt and pepper and made me look older than my years. I sat across the table from my wife, eating lunch. For at least five minutes, she didn't even notice -- even though she'd never seen me without facial hair before. After that, nobody could tell me that women are more observant than men. :p

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm one of those that likes to shave only once a week. I like the snubble look... I hate to use a trimmer though (or maybe mine just blows), so I just shave, then let them grow, and I'll have a nice snubble by the time the weekend rolls around :D

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
I tend to grow a goatee and moustache every couple years. (A goatee doesn't include a moustache, for those who don't know.) I think maybe I'll just grow the chin out some next time. I've had sideburns for years and I guess it's kind of a trademark by now. People would probably be surprised if I didn't have them. Women seem to be mixed about the goatee. Every time I shave one off, some will say it looks better without it, others will say, "What'd you shave it off for?"

I could grow a beard but I really don't want to. It's partly because it would make me look like my dad and partly because I don't really like the look. I get five o'clock shadow by about 2pm, but unless you're really up close, it doesn't get much scruffier looking for a couple more days. So I often just shave every other day instead. Women seem to like the stubble in general, except for the spot just below my lower lip, which can get kind of abrasive when kissing.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
NO MOUSTACHES. I can't stand them (unless it's John Water's very comical pencil-thin one). I'm always wondering if there's some residual snot or food particles left in them. They scare me.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
clayj said:
Personally, I won't grow facial hair for a couple of reasons... one, I think it looks silly on most people (although my Dad has a full beard and mustache now)... and two, I lack "connectors"; there are a couple of spots, right at the edges of my lips, where there is NO facial hair. So if I don't shave, I end up with a mustache and a totally separate beard. Looks really stupid.

Ahh, I am not alone, I too lack "connectors" which is really irritating, because it limits what styles are available.

I have to shave twice a day to keep a "clean" face. (7am, and 3.30pm) For some reason even though I'm 32, if I'm completely clean shaven, I get asked for ID everywhere I go. I used to find it flattering, especially as people think I'm younger than my brother who is 26, but it's now mostly a pain.

I drink a lot, and being asked for ID all the time is too much trouble, although the local shops and bars know me well enough now, it still happens when I'm further away from home. So I just shave every 3 to 4 days, but the lack of "connectors" does make it look a little bit odd if you inspect closely.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Cybernanga said:
Ahh, I am not alone, I too lack "connectors" which is really irritating, because it limits what styles are available.

I have to shave twice a day to keep a "clean" face. (7am, and 3.30pm) For some reason even though I'm 32, if I'm completely clean shaven, I get asked for ID everywhere I go. I used to find it flattering, especially as people think I'm younger than my brother who is 26, but it's now mostly a pain.

I drink a lot, and being asked for ID all the time is too much trouble, although the local shops and bars know me well enough now, it still happens when I'm further away from home. So I just shave every 3 to 4 days, but the lack of "connectors" does make it look a little bit odd if you inspect closely.

You'd really hate Chicago. EVERYONE has to show an ID to get into any bar, even if you're seventy years old.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Dining out on Dave's tale

Guitarius said:
A man isn't a man unless he hair on his face and a big piece of meat to eat.
But... but.. I'm a vegetarian, and unlike Steve, I don't even eat fish. The closest I can get to seafood is the occasional sailor.
Grey Beard

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
devilot76 said:
Almost perfect... I like what is for most Caucasians I've seen, would amount to one or maybe two days of stubble. Mmm... that's hot. Just rough enough to stimulate but still somewhat 'soft.'

That sounds like what I was describing. Mine has a nice soft feel to it I think. It's also really light (I think if I were to grow it long I'd be like joepunk's great-grandfather, brown hair and a red beard), so it doesn't look scruffy. In fact lots of times people think I'm completely clean shaven.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Never understood the appeal of moustaches myself. I have a few uncles that have them. Maybe I would like them more if I could grow one myself. My moustache just looks wierd when I try to grow one so i stick with just the goatee.

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
Our music teacher has a full beard... One day he decided to shave it all off. None of us could recognize him when we walked into the class that day [it was a grade 12 music class, the number of student was small]. We were all "Who is that guy?" "Where's Mr.Omar?" "Is he a subtitute?"... and of course you can't miss "yay, he's not here, we can do something else!!"... we tend to stick in the back of the class, near the percussions until the bell rings so we were standing there, speculating. When the bell rang, as usual, our music teacher said "Can you come to the front of the class please?" and we were all shocked to realize it's our teacher... He looked at least 30 years younger... like a student-teacher :eek: :eek: :eek: we were shocked and couldn't play anything properly that day... :eek: 3 days later, it came back to where it was... that was much better... nobody in the school recognzed him, even the teachers... :D

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
My dad has a big moustache, that he waxes so it sticks out on the sides, sometimes putting in curles like Captain Hook. It's red though, and he has black hair. That always confused me, at least until I started having facial hair. I have a few red hairs dotted here and there.

My step-dad has more of short flat moustache that doesn't go past the end of his lips.

I've been paying attention today, and not so many people have just moustaches. Mostly have them with goatees and full beards. One thing I don't like, however, is the Abe Lincoln beard, the no moustache one. I had that one for a while, and thought I looked great, but looking back at old photos (including my driver's license) I wonder what was going thought my head.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I have a mustache/goatee combo type thing goin on. I have since I was about 18. If I shave, girls are all like "YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE 19!" and I'm like "Great, let me kill myself."

I dunno, it suits me. In fact I've had girls tell me they want it rubbed all over there body (I'm always down for that :D ) and what not.

Thinking about shaving it again though...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had a mustache for years, then one day on a whim shaved it off (the kids were really susprised, since they hadn't seem me that way before), stayed "clean" a few years, and then one summer I grew a beard and mustache solely for the purpose of a funny photo I had in mind. Then I shaved them off and haven't had them since (except for weekend stubble).

I still think that stroking a beard helps you think, so I have to stroke a stranger's beard (at a museum, in the supermarket, at the mall, or wherever I am at the time) if I need to think very hard. ;)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Cybernanga said:

I actually have a similar issue here... I'm 37 and my brother is 29 (almost 30)... people mistake us for twins all the time, which is great for me, but it sucks for my brother. The reality, though, is that I look much younger than I really am: When I was 21, someone actually wrote on an evaluation form that they thought I was 36. Now people have no idea how old I am... only the grey in my hair gives a clue, but I've even had that since I was 23 or so.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
katchow said:
i'm just biding my time till the handlebar moustaches come back in style :p

I wear the handlebar (with royale on the chin) simply because it's so much out of style that it seems eccentric. (Well, it's actually closer to the english mustache or the Richelieu/Musketeer). The day everyone swith to handlebar I'll probably shave it ^_^

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
srobert said:
I wear the handlebar (with royale on the chin) simply because it's so much out of style that it seems eccentric. (Well, it's actually closer to the english mustache or the Richelieu/Musketeer). The day everyone swith to handlebar I'll probably shave it ^_^

You mean, like this?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 180

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I have had a goatee for 5+ years now, however the mustache comes and goes.
I tend to shave it off in the summer. I would try a full beard if I could but I have patches where there hair is very sparse and blonde, where most of it is brown, so trying to grow a full beard looks like I have mange. Not a good look.

As for a mustache on its own, I had one for a while because the job I was in would not let me grow a goatee. Looking back now, it was pretty horrid. It seems like mustaches are generally used by people that can grow beards due to job or physical restrictions, bikers, and gay men. I know that is stereotypical, but I have met and been friends with several gay men, been to gay bars, etc. It seems like mustaches are very popular with that crowd.

I think the worst are the molestaches. The ones usually worn by the stars of COPS and other similar shows.

Attachments

• molestache.jpg
    molestache.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 169

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I've had a moustache and goatee (or beard) for the past 20+ years. I keep it all very short and neat, though, always less than 1/4" in length, and I shave the soul patch. For a number of years, I'd occasionally get into a mood where I'd decide to shave it all off, but every time I'd do that, I'd regret it almost immediately. The more of my face that is hidden from view, the better I look. ;)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
wordmunger said:
My wife seems to like my beard. I've mentioned the possibility of shaving it a few times and she's said she'd rather I kept it.

Same here with my moustache. I think she thinks that it helps "disguise" my fairly large nose.

I'd probably grow it back, but I've not NOT had it for 20 years...

-hh

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
MacDawg said:

Yeah, that's a challenge too. OTOH, you're always the first to know when it starts to rain :)

What most women don't realize is that men actually don't "go bald" ... the hair is simply migrating to other parts of our bodies.

...down the back
...out the nose
...out the ears

And so on. This is why it still takes the barber just as long to give us a hair cut.

-hh

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
-hh said:
What most women don't realize is that men actually don't "go bald" ... the hair is simply migrating to other parts of our bodies.
...down the back
...out the nose
...out the ears

If my future husband/boyfriend/cabana boy ever EVER gets back hair, I'm shaving it off him.
Or waxing it

if he says no, I'll drug him, and then shave it!

BACK HAIR = EW!
and nose hair
and ear hair

and mustaches.. and beards? hhheeeellllllllll no! Stubble is fine, but I don't want to date a grizzly bear.

I'll dehair/wax your chest, too.

I feel sorry for any man who dates me. He'll be hiding any hair from me for so long.

I love that I've grown up in the time of metrosexual men and clean livin'! ROCK!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.