.MOV file help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Jun 18, 2017.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

First, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off live photo with the exception of turing it off each time I launch the camera. Although a small issue in the grand scope, it's quite frustrating to wait for pice to upload from my phone that I can't see anyway. Ant then to be told they can't be imported? Is there a way to tell iPhoto not to upload .mov files and only keep the regular pics?

Thanks

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Can it not be turned off permanently in Settings? Under Photos and Camera.

Anyway, don't have a Live Photo device to check on, but you should be able to see and import them on your Mac, assuming it's running a recent OS.

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

The issue was that iPhoto isn't importing .MOV files which were aka Live photo mode. I did figure out how to disable live photo on my iPhone. What I can't figure out is why iPhoto still tries to upload several hundred files that aren't pictures? They may have been the live .MOV files, but why would it keep doing it? I get a dialog box saying they aren't recognized, yet it keeps trying to add them each time I import. I only want the newest photos added to my Macbook, but it keeps redoing previous imports that can't be saved anyway....I'm confused.....

4. EugW macrumors 68000

EugW

Any reason you are using iPhoto instead of Photos? Just curious.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I thought the same, since Photos can indeed handle Live Photos.

6. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Honestly never used Photos. I've always uploaded to iPhoto. Can Photos handle creating folders and allow you to move pics and delete from other locations? I'll set it up to upload. Thanks :)

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Well, Photos is the replacement for iphoto. iPhoto will never get more updates, and all future work is being down on Photos instead. In some version of macOS down the road, I'm sure iPhoto won't even work anymore. Almost, if not all, of the functionality of iphoto has become available by now in Photos.