.mov file TOO big to burn after export fcp

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Audivid, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Audivid macrumors newbie

I need help ASAP PLEASE!! I exported a 1 hour 45 minute movie from fcp 7. It was avchd footage and i exported to quicktime with apple prores 422 hq and the size was Hd 1440 x 1080 16:9. It took about 6 hours to export and the file came back 139 GB!! I need to put this on dvd for the church TONIGHT.!! 4.7 is far from 139GB. HELP ME PLEASE if u can!!
    Do i need to do another compression/export. Im fairly new. NEED ANY TYPE OF HELP. Ill give someone my phone number if they can walk me through, thats how bad i need help

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

If you really need to use this tonight, I would say that you have to stop thinking about getting anything onto a DVD.

I would recommend using this time to figure out how to bring your mac (and any hard drives) that has this 139GB monster on it to the church and hook it directly to the viewing hardware.

You have a better chance of finding connection cables than compressing anything down to DVD size, burning, testing, fixing....

You can work on the DVD later.

If they have a projector (VGA or DVI) then that's easy -- just go to Best Buy and lay out some scratch for an adapter and cable if needed.

If it's a TV, it should have a composite (single yellow) connection. You may cry that you won't get the full punch from HD footage, but you have to let that go.

Good luck!

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Ummm... are you trying to put it on DVD ( as in to play on a DVD player ) or are you trying to put it on DVD-ROM ( as in a file to be copied to a computer to play )

If you are trying to do it to be playable in a DVD player, don't worry about the movie's size. It will be re-encoded into Standard Definition MPEG2 and will fit on a Single layer DVD-R. This will take multiple hours to d, however, and it sounds like ou don't have time.

I agree with idea_hamster, if all you're trying to do is show the movie, just make sure you have the right adapter, and bring your computer in.

Or, If you are really do want to export the ProRes, I suggest running out to Best buy and buying a USB harddrive.

4. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

I have about 7 or 8 hrs before church starts. Which program do i burn it on because thats all i want, is a dvd to play on a tv? and i have several ext hd available. plz reply

5. mwchris macrumors regular

That ought to be enough time, personally I would just give it a go and send it to DVD, but I would also have a back-up plan to show the movie straight from the computer in case there is an error, or not enough time. Worse case if it doesn't finish in time hit cancel and then show from the computer.

6. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

But, I just tried to burn with toast and all it says is that the file is too big and that there is not enough space. Is there a certain program that I should use? or settings?

7. mwchris macrumors regular

If you exported using FCP, then you should have access to Compressor and DVD Studio Pro.

Start with Compressor and make it an approprate size for DVD. Then go to DVD Studio and Burn.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

If you're exporting your full timeline settings and thought a DVD would play this 1080 file, and thought the final file would be under 4.7 gigs, and don't know what software to use to make a disc (iDVD?) or how to downsize your file...

...what are you doing with fcp7?

9. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

It's stupid in the first place you exported HD 1080 because the DVD res is like 640x360

10. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

(Might be worth checking the specs before criticising someone else for not doing so...)

11. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Hey there, Audivid --

Did you ever figure out a solution?

What did you ultimately do?

Enquiring minds want to know.... ;)

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

:eek: face... palm....

13. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I got it finally. I ran it through compressor and then burned in DVD studio pro. The footage looked terrible but oh well, it was the church, they dont care, they'll accept anything. Im still trying to figure out how to get a quality picture after exporting because it looked nothing like my sequence and I know that will lose some but it lost A LOT. Is there a certain setting that must be in place for it to export clean, because my footage came out very fuzzy and not smooth at all. Any time there was a pan or some with a CU moved, it looked horrible.

14. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

It's good to hear that you got your project delivered.

(As an aside: I hate to say, "I told you so," but this was what I meant when I said that you wouldn't have time to compress, burn, test, and fix a DVD.
    The audience's experience would, I suspect, have been better if you had played your 139GB monster directly from your computer.)

As a total Compressor amateur (exactly 1 project in SD) I don't have great insight as to settings. The issues with panning and other on-screen motion sound similar to those with HDV, so it may be that the actual source footage broke down in the codec -- i.e., the compression algorithm that recorded the footage couldn't handle the motion. I would check those spots to see if it is really worth putting a lot more effort in.

If they look good in the source footage, then I would say to make sure that you use a 2-pass encoding method -- that always helps.