.mov to .avi... which program?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by whyrichard, Apr 2, 2008.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I have a .mov that I need to have working through powerpoint on a windows machine.

If i buy quicktime pro, can quicktime convert to .avi?

if not, are there other free programs?

thanks,
    r.

when i try to use a free importer called "MOV to AVI MPEG WMV Converter", it does the translation, but when i try to open it in windows media player i get an error that reads, "Windows media plaer cannot play the file, the file may be formatted with an unsupported codec. or the internet security setting on your computer is set too high. lower your browsers security setting, and then try again."

---?

i am in an office environment and behind a firewall, is this the problem?

how to i get a .mov to work in windows/powerpoint?

thanks,
    r.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Keep in mind, AVI is simply a container that can hold video and audio streams encoded in any of a number of different codecs, the most common of which (DivX/XviD for video) is not supported by any version of Windows unless it is installed. You'd be safer converting it to WMV or MPEG-1, as those are guaranteed to play on any Windows computer.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

mpeg 1, or wmv.... so which program do i use?

r.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

About the only one I know of that might work would be VisualHub (costs money) or ffmpegX (free, but a bit difficult to set up).

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

unfortunately, i am at work, and am forced to use a windows machine.

r.

doesn't quicktime pro convert to mpeg1?

r.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

7. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

is there a windows program that could do it? .mov to something that can play in powerpoint...?

r.

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

not sure if mp4 files would work on a powerpoint but if they do try isquint (made by the same co that makes visual hub, which is deff. better)

9. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

10. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

ohmygod... i'm at work, i need a WINDOWS program.... no one reads posts anymore.... (including me sometimes)

r.

11. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to export to WMV from QuickTime Pro, then you need the paid version of the Flip4Mac codec. I don't know about fluidedge's installation of ffmpegX, but mine supports neither MPEG-1 nor WMV as target formats for MOV source files.

13. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Quicktime Pro has settings to convert to AVI, MPEG4 and WMV. Why couldn't you just use that? Q Pro is only $30 and probably a program that almost everyone who works with video should have. What am I missing here?

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

ffmpeg is an open source (free by both meanings) converter. It can be built on and runs on any computer Windows, Mac, UNIX, ..., whatever. However using ffmpeg requires that you can type into a terminal. Some people can't. So more than a few people have tried their hand at making graphical programs that collect information into a form and then kick off ffmpeg, thereby saving the user from having to type in the command directly. There is a list of these programs on the ffmpeg web site. http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/projects.html