MOV to MPEG converion help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ManzanitaDelSol, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ManzanitaDelSol macrumors newbie

Hello

My client wanted the original footage from the video shoot i did for him. I transferred the FLIP footage to MOV. I'm working with OS X. But he said that the footage didn't play for him. He is using Windows. I know. I know. But the customer is always right and want to satisfy him by giving him footage he can view. I tried Streamclip 1.9.3b7 , but converting the MOV to MPEG was greyed out in the File Menu and not accessible. Can any one please help? Thank you for taking your time.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you have Compressor, use that, but otherwise Handbrake will do just as well.

In either case, use the built-in preset for Apple TV (or iPhone if they need to be smaller).

That will give fairly decent sized H.264 files, which many different programs can play. If he really doesn't have anything that can play them, make him download Quicktime or VLC.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Handbrake only gives an MPEG4 option, which is what Streamclip gives me for a .mov conversion, so I suspect the OP is looking for MPEG2?

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Mpeg2, ewww. At least go for a decent compression using mpeg4... Handbrake can do this as someone suggested earlier. It will give you a .m4v file but that is just an iTunes friendly extension... it is still just a regular .mp4 that can play on just about anything.

5. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I just went through this at work. Your best option, as far as I was able to discover, is to get quicktime pro player($30), and the flip4mac plugin ($100). Flip4mac has a free trial that will allow you to convert to WMV, but limits the clips to 30 seconds. I work for a company whose dealers use windows media player on a wide spectrum of PC hardware, so good ole wmv is what we're relegated to.

I tried some different free options, but it seems like the above is the cheapest option that actually works without any watermarks.

I ended up discovering that the last guy in here had purchased a program called sorenson squeeze which also does this, but I think it's more expensive than the above options and has a few more features.

best of luck

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Why use .wmv when Windows can play .mp4?

7. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

To my knowledge, windows media player won't play mp4 files by default without using another program like VLC or installing a decoder pack. Neither of which are an option for our circumstances.

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I just checked Win 7 Media Player... yep, you are right. Windows is lame.

9. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

10. ryan605, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

ryan605 macrumors newbie

You would have to get a video converter. There's a free one called iCoolsoft Video Converter.

11. floh macrumors 6502

You realize that this thread is months old? Is this spam?