MOV to MPEG converion help

ManzanitaDelSol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Hello

My client wanted the original footage from the video shoot i did for him. I transferred the FLIP footage to MOV. I'm working with OS X. But he said that the footage didn't play for him. He is using Windows. I know. I know. But the customer is always right and want to satisfy him by giving him footage he can view. I tried Streamclip 1.9.3b7 , but converting the MOV to MPEG was greyed out in the File Menu and not accessible. Can any one please help? Thank you for taking your time.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If you have Compressor, use that, but otherwise Handbrake will do just as well.

In either case, use the built-in preset for Apple TV (or iPhone if they need to be smaller).

That will give fairly decent sized H.264 files, which many different programs can play. If he really doesn't have anything that can play them, make him download Quicktime or VLC.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
Mpeg2, ewww. At least go for a decent compression using mpeg4... Handbrake can do this as someone suggested earlier. It will give you a .m4v file but that is just an iTunes friendly extension... it is still just a regular .mp4 that can play on just about anything.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
I just went through this at work. Your best option, as far as I was able to discover, is to get quicktime pro player($30), and the flip4mac plugin ($100). Flip4mac has a free trial that will allow you to convert to WMV, but limits the clips to 30 seconds. I work for a company whose dealers use windows media player on a wide spectrum of PC hardware, so good ole wmv is what we're relegated to.

I tried some different free options, but it seems like the above is the cheapest option that actually works without any watermarks.

I ended up discovering that the last guy in here had purchased a program called sorenson squeeze which also does this, but I think it's more expensive than the above options and has a few more features.

best of luck

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
I just went through this at work. Your best option, as far as I was able to discover, is to get quicktime pro player($30), and the flip4mac plugin ($100). Flip4mac has a free trial that will allow you to convert to WMV, but limits the clips to 30 seconds. I work for a company whose dealers use windows media player on a wide spectrum of PC hardware, so good ole wmv is what we're relegated to.

I tried some different free options, but it seems like the above is the cheapest option that actually works without any watermarks.

I ended up discovering that the last guy in here had purchased a program called sorenson squeeze which also does this, but I think it's more expensive than the above options and has a few more features.

best of luck
Why use .wmv when Windows can play .mp4?

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Why use .wmv when Windows can play .mp4?
To my knowledge, windows media player won't play mp4 files by default without using another program like VLC or installing a decoder pack. Neither of which are an option for our circumstances.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
To my knowledge, windows media player won't play mp4 files by default without using another program like VLC or installing a decoder pack. Neither of which are an option for our circumstances.
I just checked Win 7 Media Player... yep, you are right. Windows is lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.