.MOV to other formats

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MrMacMini, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MrMacMini macrumors regular

I need to share a video I created with friends, but they cant open the .MOV file I created, so I want to convert the .MOV file to a windows compatible format....can anyone recommend a program, free preferably that can easily do this?

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

(I'm assuming you want to distribute an end product and you're not asking about a format for video editing.)
    MOVs are Windows compatible. Might be a trite response, but it's the truth.

If they really don't want to go through all that hassle of downloading Quicktime (I thought it came with iTunes and so everyone pretty much had it installed, even if they don't use iTunes anymore...) then your easiest options are:
    • WMV
    • MPEG4

To make a WMV file, you'll need to buy Flip4Mac Studio from Telestream. I did find a free PC app that does it that I use under Parallels.

MPEG4s can be made by exporting from whatever video app you're using. Make it "iPod compatible" or some preset like that. If you can't do that for some reason, use MPEG Streamclip to open your MOV and export to MPEG4 using that.

Or upload to Youtube.:)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also use the already mentioned MPEG Streamclip to export to the .avi container using the Divx codec for example, but the Divx has to be installed.

The easiest way though would be to install QT Player on those Windows computers. It's a good piece of software and it allows you to watch movie trailers in 1080p in quite the stunning quality.

4. MrMacMini thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info......I already went through all the trouble of creating the video so the least they can do is install quicktime on their PC's.

Thanks again!