Resolved Move a large PDF onto iPad from Mac without iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by B737, Feb 27, 2014.

1. B737, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

How To:
    Just wanted my suggestion in the forum should someone google / search seeking to do the same thing I did... I searched and found nothing specific to my unique circumstances...

I had a huge technical 400 meg pdf I needed on my company iPad. There were several hurdles blocking me from doing it the easy way...

My corporate iPad is away from the computer I normally sync it with, so I could not just plug it in and move the documents over via iTunes / iBooks sync... My company iPad does not have the App Store on it, so installing GoodReader DropBox ect is out of the question. Opening or emailing the said PDF was too big for safari or email to handle to simply 'open in iBooks', so that wouldn't work either. Corporate iPad does not have AirDrop... I needed a work around...

What I ended up doing was plugging the iPad into my personal MacBook Air that I had with me on the road. I used iExplorer to open the file structure on my company iPad. Click down to the Media, then Books folder... you'll see all the pdfs on your ipad listed here. They will have strange names with numbers and letters like "A11101AF980.PDF".

Here's where there is a little bit of a gamble, you're going to overwrite one, but you dont know which, you may be able to ballpark it by file size ect.

Simply dragging and dropping your PDF into the media / books folder on the ipad from the mac with iExplorer, won't populate it in iBooks on the iPad. I'm assuming this is because the plist would need to be edited, didnt have time for that. So you have to pick one of your existing PDF names in your iPad library (will look similar to "A110101AF980.PDF"). Name the PDF you want on your ipad that's on your mac to that exact same name. The gamble is you really dont know which existing PDF on your ipad you're overwriting. For me I was willing to take that chance, I needed this document on the iPad.

copy (drag / drop) the newly named PDF over with iExplorer into Media > Books folder, allow it to 'replace' when prompted. Reboot iPad. go through your PDFs one at a time in iBooks until you find your new PDF, the name will be one of your former PDFs but the content will be the new pdf you moved over.

clear as mud? ;)

this is a work around for those of you in a jam, who dont have the privilege of simply sync'ing it over, using the appstore, and are working with a corporate ipad thats mostly 'locked down'. good luck.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Why not upload it to dropbox and then email yourself a link to it? May take awhile to open but you should be able to then "open in iBooks"

3. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

as explained, safari cannot load such a large PDF to be able to select "open in iBooks", iPad 2, limited on memory, so it crashes about halfway through loading it from the link. Maybe newer iPads could...

4. bpbatch, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

All those corporate security measures to lock down the iPad and you can still access the file system via iExplorer.
    Am I the only one who sees the irony in that?

6. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

^ lol! So true :) our company iPad program is such an utter disaster. They ruined a perfectly good device

And +1 to the guy about shrinking the PDF, obnoxious in size... The PDF is thousands of pages, in a perfect world it should be split but I was just working w what I had.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I second this. Use preview to break it up into smaller individual chapters or something. It's going to be a pain referencing such a huge document on a tablet anyways. This would also make it easier to download to your iPad.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

If you have Acrobat Pro, you could substantially compress it (could lower DPI and make it slightly blurry if that doesn't bother you) and then upload it to DropBox, go to Safari, go to Dropbox website and then just open it in Safari and then open it in iBooks or whatever you have installed.

Have you considered asking the IT team to allow access to App Store? If they deny it, throw a tomato at them.