Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Hey everyone, I want to move an account from my iMac to my Mac Pro, which would be in addition to other accounts I have on the MP.

I know that there is migration assistant, but that imports apps over too doesn't it? Can I combine apps and a user account?

Just wanting to know before I pull all my hair out!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Migration assistant allows you to choose what you want to transfer over. If you just want your user account to transfer, that is all that will transfer.

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
What do you mean by "combine apps"? Do you mean that you have an older version on one machine and you want to update it to the latest one on another machine? If that's the question, that's a No. Preferences are different, so you'll have to console the developer of the application.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I just mean I have two machines that are on 10.6.2, one machine has some apps that the other one doesn't, so if I asked MA to put apps and a user account from one machine to another it would blend the apps together, making it one, almighty machine of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.